Why Is The Obvious Not So Obvious?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by nysestocks, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Johno

Johno

There is no one so blind as a no-eyed deer! The OP has already given you the answer, do some thinking and make an effort to comprehend rather than expect someone to lay it in your lap.

The replies show very clearly who does and who does not make money speculating in the markets, I would suspect that NY's motive in posting is simply curiosity to see who's who in the zoo!

Best Regards

Johno

#41     Feb 10, 2009
  2. That's kind of what I was thinking.

#42     Feb 10, 2009
  3. Redneck

Redneck

Well Nysestocks,

I’ll tell ya what won’t work SLABH, / BHASL

I did both today – then spent the rest of the day digging out of it (still ended the day down $186.38 including commissions)

Am I mad – no, / frustrated with myself – Yep

So (as I imagine you’re still lurking in the shadows) exact your pound of flesh – Lord knows I’ve taken you to task

But at least I’m keeping it real (not meant as slam at you Nysestocks - just me owning up to the truth)

Tomorrow's another day

Redneck

#43     Feb 10, 2009
  4. Johno

Johno

Good to see you can still keep your sense of humor Red!

Regards

Johno

#44     Feb 10, 2009
  5. Redneck

Redneck

Thank You Sir

BTW I figured out why the obvious isn’t so obvious – to me today

Cranium up nether region:confused:

See ya
    Redneck

#45     Feb 10, 2009
  6. Johno

Johno

Hence the red neck?

Regards

Johno

#46     Feb 10, 2009
  7. DrEvil

DrEvil

Ok so what you are saying is that other than a trader cutting their losers and letting winners run, using proper position sizing, being properly capitalized and having the right mindset there is another key ingredient missing (as you say, the obvious) that is required to be profitable?

As others have stated, you must have an edge. First and formost you need to be betting on the more probable direction. I.e the chart, as confirmed by higher time frames as well as your current timeframe must be indicating that a certain direction is more likely than the other. Then you trade in that direction.

Have I missed out the obvious?

#47     Feb 11, 2009
  8. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

You are not correct, but that is normal!

#48     Feb 15, 2009
  9. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

Agree 100% - but this is not the obvious that a trader needs to know in order to make money.

A trader who knows nothing about business strategies can still make good money, if he/she knows what the must know, and do what he/she must do.

#49     Feb 15, 2009
  10. What is obvious is that day trading/short term trading (For that matter, even long term 5 years in the equity market as it is now) is a negative sum game for the average. You have to find a way to turn this into positive for yourself.

#50     Feb 15, 2009