Why Is The Obvious Not So Obvious?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by nysestocks, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Redneck

Redneck

I have got to quit drinking water as I'm reading - My keyboard will not take much more

#481     Apr 6, 2009
  2. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

How about this one:D

A-Wise-Monkey-In-Thought-Rubbing-His-Chin-And-Sitting-On-Top-Of-A-Stack-Of-Books-While-Gazing-At-A-Crystal-Ball-Showing-Him-Glimpses-Of-What-Is-To-Come

[​IMG]

#482     Apr 7, 2009
  3. This is one of those questions like the famous "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" that contain impossible presuppositions and are therfore meaningless.

"The obvious" can't simultaneously be "not so obvious" because the obvious can't be less obvious than itself.

There is no meaningful answer to your question as posed.

Apologies to anyone who's already made this point.

#483     Apr 7, 2009
  4. Redneck

Redneck

:D :D

#484     Apr 7, 2009
  5. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

This is where I picked up all my secrets, as I went about my daily routine of cleaning the toilets:D

[​IMG]

#485     Apr 7, 2009
  6. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

But Mr. H, do you know "everything"!

What if there was an answer?

What if the answer is so simple that it will not be believed!

I have not seen any responses to my questions regarding "childhood", and what children like most of all to do!

There is always "someone" out there that just knows that little bit more, and as mentioned, it is that "little bit more" that can make that "big difference"!

There is indeed an answer, but it will not be divulged for "obvious" reasons.

#486     Apr 7, 2009
  7. Boib

Boib

I am surprised you use Roulette as an example for the market. Depending on whether the wheel has one or two zeros the house has the edge.

If you play long enough the house odds will grind you down.

Blackjack on the other hand is beatable by a skilled card counter.

Poker is more like the market. You start each hand as a loser.

Your anti and the house rake, like commissions and the spread, are lost before you start.

In poker you play against other participants not the house. Emotions, not only yours but the other players, come into play.

You are aware that anything can and will happen

You shouldn’t expect to win every hand and you expect your winners to be larger than your losers.

When you have a hand that has high odds of being a winner you stay with it and attempt to maximize your winnings.

At the end of the game it’s how much you walk away with that counts, not the number of hands won or lost.

You can not control the cards, only how you play them.

#487     Apr 7, 2009
  8. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

I was giving details of what actually happened yesterday Boib - and yes, I am sure that if you were silly enough to keep playing against the house, then you will lose, as the odds are in the houses' favor.

Your comparison is very good - but the reality is that trading is not any other type of gambling, it is unique and has its own "little things" that all different types of gambling have.

The thing is, one needs to be smart enough to work out what those "little things" are.

Anyway, the point is well known, if you are not in control, and are foolish enough to risk too much too often, then you will not last very long!

And yes, I like being told that I could have been better, as that is what I try to do each and every day, better myself!

Thanks again:D

#488     Apr 7, 2009
  9. No, of course I don't know everything, but I do know something about grammar and logic and know that your question is self-invalidating at least insofar as grammar and logic are concerned.

I'm sure there's an answer; I'm sure there is an endless number of answers but I don't see how any of those answers could be logical given that the question is not.

"What if there was an answer?" - what if 6 turns out be 9? (J. Hendrix)

#489     Apr 7, 2009
  10. DrEvil

DrEvil

With regards to risk, I would say that deciding where to place your stop when sizing up a trade and truely accepting the risk are two very different things.

#490     Apr 7, 2009