Why is Scandinavia so expensive? | CNBC Explains

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by dealmaker, May 28, 2018.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Clubber Lang and Maverick1 like this.
  2. Maverick1

Maverick1

What is the median income in Norway, Denmark, Sweden? Anyone know?

mlawson71 likes this.
  3. IKEA fled and so did most of their wealthy citizens.
    Also, good luck trying to buy a home in those countries. Funny how CNBC left that part out even though it’s the biggest monthly expense for almost everyone.

BTW- another awesome find Dealmaker. Thanks

dealmaker likes this.
  4. mlawson71

mlawson71

I was about to ask that exact same question.

5. schweiz

schweiz

70-90m² flat in Stavanger costs at least 400,000 euro. I have friends who live there. If I visit them they don't want to go to restaurant because it is so expensive.

http://www.averagesalarysurvey.com/norway

6. Maverick1

Maverick1

Thanks Schweiz. So if gross middle class salary is $50-60k, that means these people are living on 40% of that in these arm-and-a-leg countries? Sheesh. Can they afford food after rent is paid?

Any Swedes, Norwegians, Danish on ET? Please chime in...

7. Maverick1

Maverick1

At 3:03 in the vid you can see the price of fish and chips, 150 r? Doesn't matter if its SEK, DKK or NOK, which are in the 6.4 to 8.8 range, that's still $17 to 24. Compare with more like half that at McDonalds in the US...

No wonder Schweiz your friends don't eat out. I bet Top Ramen is a hit over there...

8. schweiz

schweiz

I don't know the exact prices in restaurants anymore but I remember it was close to double of what I pay where I live.

Here you can see some prices : http://26north.no/stavanger/foodmenu/?lang=en

9. Sig

Sig

Your statement is internally inconsistent. If all the wealthy and the companies are supposedly fleeing an area, it would drive house prices down. This whole supply and demand concept.....