Why is my speed test so slow?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by nic05, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Aside from speed testing you need to try ping and tracert.

I'm near Philadelphia using 1.5 mbps DSL on interleave. ping gw1.ibllc.com takes 49 ms and tracert gw1.ibllc.com takes the same 49 ms over 9 hops. Try ping and tracert to your broker's server. You could be getting stuck or throttled at a bad internet router somewhere along the way.

In Windows you run ping and tracert from a command line.

start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

#11     Jun 9, 2008
  2. taodr

taodr

What virus detection are you using ? I had to dump AVG 8 as it was slowing down everything.

#12     Jun 9, 2008
  3. nic05

nic05

I have no idea how to ping my broker, but ill ask my bm to show me how to do that tomorrow. One of my co-workers suggested doing a comparison between my computer and one at the office back in BC so I will get on that first thing in the morning.

As for software I am using Comodo Antivirus, comodo firewall pro, and comodo BOClean malware protection.

#13     Jun 9, 2008
  4. I'd call that cable company if I were you. Raise hell with them. You're paying a premium for what should be an outstanding service which you're not getting. If you don't get anywhere with the person who answers the phone elevate the call to higher levels of tech support/ management until you're convinced they are either not at fault or working diligently on the issue.

#14     Jun 9, 2008
  5. JackR

JackR

Your provider does not guarantee 16 Mbps, that is just the top speed.

The pingplotter software I mentioned will graphically display the latency to each router between you and your broker's servers. By watching the display you can see where packets are dropped along the way as well as where there are wide variations in latency.

It is very easy to use, you simply type in the web name or IP address of your broker.

Jack

#15     Jun 9, 2008
  6. nic05

nic05

I understand that they don't guarantee 16 Mbps but shouldn't I be getting at least half of that pretty consistently throughout the day? I would be happy with 8 or 9 even, but a lot of the time I have gotten results of less than 5 Mbps.

And thanks for the link. I downloaded the ping plotter and I am studying up on how to use it now :)

#16     Jun 9, 2008
  7. For $210/ month you should be getting something that does not drop and that provides something consistent. Maybe when that tech comes out he can talk with your trading service provider and find out where those connections are getting dropped and make it right. Nothing worse then dropped connections when trading.

#17     Jun 9, 2008
  8. Just call them they will fix it. You either have a defective modem or the wiring was done wrong.

Also if you have digital phone service with that package there could be a problem on the install.

John

#18     Jun 9, 2008
  9. No offense but Canadian Internet providers suck.
    Contact Cogeco and tell 'em to fix it or screw off.
    I get better download/upload speeds than you with Comcast at $45 bucks a month.

#19     Jun 9, 2008
  10. nic05

nic05

The tech just left and apparently there is a problem in this area with high noise levels and packet loss. He said the offices right next to me on the same node are experiencing intermittent internet connection and slow speeds also, and it won't be fixed until they put new fibre lines over the bridge (or something to that effect).

So I guess there is not much I can do about it apart from change carriers or move.

Thanks for all the advice and help anyway :)

#20     Jun 10, 2008