Why is my Notebook HD full up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jjf, Jul 30, 2010.

1. #11     Jul 30, 2010
  2. pspr

pspr

If you are using Win XP, in Start/Run type chkdsk /r Enter. Then reboot the computer and let check disk scan your hard drive for problems.

#12     Jul 30, 2010
  3. jjf

jjf

Thank you ... will this take me into strange places like DOS or will it run a straight forward scan

cheers

#13     Jul 30, 2010
  4. pspr

pspr

It runs before windows loads. Then opens windows. If you suspect problems with your HD you might want to do a fresh back up as chkdsk will segregate broken pieces of files, etc. Although the backup would be corrupt anyway.

#14     Jul 30, 2010
  5. It is possible you are starting to get hard drive problems when they are over 3 years old. Please note that no software can actually fix a failing hard drive.

My suggestion is to back up all your important data, install a new hard drive, and do a clean reinstall of Windows and all your programs, then install anti-virus software and then copy back your data files. You should be able to back up your data files to a portable HD or a thumb drive if you don't have too much data.

If you don't know how to do this, take it to a computer repair shop. Also, hard drives are pretty cheap now, so I would go with at least a 250 GB one.

You can take out your old hard drive to determine what type to buy IDE or SCSI.

#15     Jul 30, 2010
  6. Bob111

Bob111

IF(big if) HD is falling apart(which does happens a lot on laptops mostly due poor ventilation) he should experience a lot of strange things way before this problem arise.

again-check for errors, check for partitions\not formatted space. you can copy all your stuff on external HD(cost close to nothing) and consider to install SSD instead. but before that-you can clone\copy your current HD on external HD, delete,reformat old HD reinstall windows and put back all your stuff. it's should take 2-3 hours max

#16     Jul 30, 2010