Why is Michigan not bankrupt with double digit unemployment?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bond_trad3r, Feb 6, 2009.

1. There was a movie, I can't remember the name of it now, where the king of England said the only problem with Scotland is it's full of Scots. Well, that's the problem with Texas. It's full of Texans. (Just joking, Texans. Please do not cyberstalk me. George Bush rocks.)

#31     Feb 8, 2009
  2. Petoskey, Charlevoix, Grand Rapids, Portage, Holland - all very, very nice areas.

The best things about Michigan? Very clean air and some of the best fresh water in the world (once you get out of the zone of contamination of the industrial area that spreads out in an approximate 60 mile radius of Detroit - you would be hard pressed to find cleaner air or water in anywhere with the exception of the arctic or certain mountainous areas of northern Europe or Switzerland), very fertile farmland, and aside from Detroit and the suburbs, very low crime rates and a well armed populace.

The worst? Definitely unions and property taxes. I was never anti-union until I got out of college, traveled around the country and the world, and saw what a competitive disadvantage it was for Michigan to be saddled with union inefficiencies in a globalized economy with nominal barriers to trade, commerce and other exchanges.

I'd rather live in Michigan than almost any other area of the country I've see. You can shove Florida up your asses. Crime, taxes, bugs, humidity, slime from everywhere migrating there. Texas? What is there besides Austin and San Antonio, which I have to admit are two very cool cities. But the water and taxes suck, and it's too damn hot and humid in most other parts.

New York & New Jersey? Ha!

I'll admit an unmitigated affinity for La Jolla & San Diego. The weather is too optimum not to love it, as the views and landscape are. But damn the cost of living, traffic and foo foo ness.

Ahhh, I forgot about Colorado. Some of the beautiful and clean areas I've ever seen, and I'd have to say Colorado has stolen my heart. Amazing lakes, topography, clean air and water - yes, Colorado is a definite possibility.

#32     Feb 8, 2009
  3. Braveheart

#33     Feb 8, 2009
  4. The first bit of good news ever is a report from Bloomberg that the government may force GM into bankruptcy so it can get its money back from this shitty organization. One can only hope this will be the final nail in the coffin for Detroit.

#34     Feb 11, 2009
  5. bighog

bighog Guest

When i leave Michigan and it's terrific summer weather and yet still want to enjoy one of lifes greatest pleasures (seasonal changes) i will head West. The final goal is to New Zealand but will rent a condo in Reno, Nevada and make final decision from there. California income taxes are rather stiff to say the least. 9.3% and looks like the state is broke.

I still love Chicago on the whole but afer being in Michigan for a few years i am not in a hurry to listen to constant planes taking off and waiting through 6 light changes to make a turn and wait again through 6 more for the second turn.

I mean come on, why need to plan your trips and make RIGHT turns only to save time getting from point A to point B. take a few extra miles but you will get there a lot faster. hahahah

Reno is also a great ride to San Francisco on weekends for a change of pace now and then. I promise to have the snow chains when crossing over Donner pass.

#35     Feb 11, 2009