Why is Michigan not bankrupt with double digit unemployment?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bond_trad3r, Feb 6, 2009.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Chicago is ghey.

Michigan *is* beautiful, you just have to get outside of downtown Detroit idiot.

Try Lake St. Claire shores.

#11     Feb 7, 2009
  2. Now come on, just because parts of it are subject to rampant homosexuality, don't tar us all with the same (brightly colored, scrupulously clean) brush!

#12     Feb 7, 2009
  3. Q12

Q12

Oakland County (which borders the "D") is the 4th wealthiest county in the United States. More golf courses in Michigan than any other state (you ever watch the U.S. Open? Oakland Hills is just outside of Detroit). Not to mention lakes everywhere.

It's definitely no Chicago... but it's not as bad as the media makes it out to be.

#13     Feb 7, 2009
  4. Why would I want to live in the middle of fucking nowhere though? Moving out to rural areas just to afford McMansions in an area devoid of culture and non-chain stores is not my cup of tea. That's just so late 90s. Nothing wrong with living in a suburb if you can commute to a real city for some fun and relaxation. Chicagoland is better than the shitty suburbs surrounding Detroit land.

#14     Feb 7, 2009
  5. Some parts of Michigan are some of the most beautiful areas in the U.S.

If you ever come and see, just keep it on the QT.

#15     Feb 7, 2009
  6. Both the last posters are right. I've lived in the Detroit 'burbs, and they are one of the worst places I've ever lived. They exemplify everything that's wrong with America's cities.

However, on the other side of the state, the Lake Michigan shoreline has some just breathtakingly beautiful areas. Some of them are only 1.5 hours from Chicago, too - day tripping distance. Best of both worlds!

#16     Feb 7, 2009
  7. LOL, you are just bitter because the Cubs suck, every year. When is the last time they have even been to the World Series?

Blackhawks and Bulls suck too:) Face it if you are a sports fan Detroit is the better place to be. I do, still, sense some envy in your dialogue. It must the ass kicking by the Wings on NYE

Now, if you like culture, the arts and theatre, Chicago is the better place to be. Also, the job opportunities are better in Chicago.

Let's face it though, being a sports fan in Chicago has to be difficult, especially for you Cubsguy. I heard the bars on Broadway in Lakeview aren't as packed as they used to be before Cubs games:D :D

Oh, and I almost forgot, the pizza in Chicago is terrible and there isn't a single Coney Island in the city. The weather too, relatively speaking, is worse. The wind in Chicago is BRUTAL in the winter.

Detroit will rebound soon. Downtown IS decrepit, but the suburbs are much nicer than Chicago's. Cubsguy, when you described the image of the suburbs in your post I couldn't help but think of Oakbrook, IL.

I hate to break the news to you but McDonaldsville doesn't resemble Bloomfield, Birmingham, Rochester, St. Clair Shores or Grosse Point, etc. And I have yet to mention Traverse City, Torch Lake, Gaylord, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Tawas, Harbor Springs, Pictured Rocks, Porcupine Mountains, etc.

Illinois, maybe, has about 20 square miles (approx 20k beautiful) sm in Michgan) worth spending time in. You pretty much have Chicago. It is a great city but doesn't provide the balanced lifestyle Michigan has to offer.

Michigan has the infrastructure to survive, and prosper in the future. Michigan is a beautiful state and will surely attract capital again.

#17     Feb 7, 2009
  8. Agreed. Harbor Country is great, as is Grand Haven, Traverse City and Mackinac. These areas only exist because of Chicago money that travels there in the summer.

Rest of the state is pretty useless.

#18     Feb 7, 2009
  9. ^^^^
    Sure Detroit has some bad parts just like everyother major city. The auto debacle isn't helping but why not rip on nyc for all the banking disasters which dwarf our problem. It's a great place for nature buffs and oakland county is very nice. The winters are pretty brutal, a few days ago it was -5 w/out the wind chill. There are a lot of depressed and obese people but hey it's the midwest. Also, yes a lot of michiganders move to chicago and i don't know why. I figure if i'm going to move, i'll move somewhere warm.

Note: I believe there should have been 0 bailouts (including the autos) and the free market should decide who lives and dies. Keynesianism doesn't work, we all know this. Recessions/depressions clear out the malinvestment and consolidate industries that grew to large from artificially low interest rates.

#19     Feb 7, 2009
  10. dinoman

dinoman

Three reasons they aren't bankrupt yet.

Property taxes are insanely high.
    $66K property value in MI, yearly taxes $1558. $700K property value in NC, yearly taxes $1515.

Gas in MI in the top 5 of high rates. (taxes)

Cigarettes $6 plus.

I could go on and on!

Just about any tax you can think of in MI is way out of whack. Thats why they are basically in the same boat as Cali.

Outside of the concrete jungles though it is a beautiful state.

#20     Feb 7, 2009