Why is Macke Out From CNBC?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ipatent, May 24, 2009.

1. ipatent

ipatent

2. This is my take from reading between the lines.

Stimulus Plan dependent GE has told broadcast employees to tone down the anti-Obama rhetoric.

From the New York Post:

" THE top suits and some of the on-air talent at CNBC were recently ordered to a top-secret meeting with General Electric CEO Jeffrey Immelt and NBC Universal President Jeff Zucker to discuss whether they've turned into the President Obama-bashing network, Page Six has learned.

"It was an intensive, three-hour dinner at 30 Rock which Zucker himself was behind," a source familiar with the powwow told us. "There was a long discussion about whether CNBC has become too conservative and is beating up on Obama too much. There's great concern that CNBC is now the anti-Obama network. The whole meeting was really kind of creepy."

From the Jagged Edge:

"Immelt serves on President Obama's Economic Recovery Advisory Board and his company stands to reap hundreds of billions of dollars in benefits from Obama's recently passed stimulus package, and that's in addition to the $140 billion in federal bailout money GE has received already."

Macke was told to tone it down or take a walk. So he's walking. My guess is he'll wind up with my buddy from high school, Eric Bolling.

I wish a painful death for Immelt and GE.

3. he's just not very good on the show i think. compared to najarian, the emerging market guys, the italian guy - he is the weakest link- along with the new broad moderator.

only ever tears down ideas and is always magically long things going up and short them when they are going down - switching preferences based on what happened that day. buffoonery.

4. Wow.

Actually I'll bet he probably just had a really bad day (or week?) in the market. Maybe that combined with being disgruntled over something or other with cnbc he just lost it.

Too bad ... I always enjoyed what he had to say, even though like everyone else on FM it's all about talking their book.

5. It may well have something to do with Dennis Neale....one night last week , possibly Thursday , I happen to see Neale asked Macke for a comment on a subject and Macke was talking absolute jibberish , which I could only conclude that he was either stoned or had a couple of extra martinis....he really couldn't lift his head.

I was very surprised at what he said, which made absolutely no sense and Neale gave him two shots at the answer and both times Macke went on with his diatribe...it was funny, because Neale had no idea what to say next, but kept a straight face.:p

6. ipatent

ipatent

Here it is..

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1128608144&play=1

It was gibberish, but I see it as more of a clue that Macke was deeply troubled by something he was asked to do and was undergoing mental repudiation.

7. spd

spd

Looks like he did a few rails right before that piece. I dont think he blinks once. Definitely some incoherent ramblings.

8. holy shit, what the hell was that? He pulled a gasparino X10! :D :eek: :confused:

9. This is the problem with CNBC, its all about the "characters" rather than the reporting. When's the last time there was a scandal at Bloomberg? They just consistently report the business news rather than playing sound effects. It has gotten really bad at CNBC.

#10     May 24, 2009