Why is it that ALL brokers do not understand true latency?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by sigsegvboogman, Dec 17, 2005.

1. nitro

nitro

I have a very open mind and value all persons experience. I just can spot those that know a millon times more than I do on a subject, and those that know a million times less than I do on a subject, from a mile away :D

nitro

#51     Dec 19, 2005
  2. Why are you randomly picking a single small part of total system latency and asking someone else to give this number? Proper system optimization involves performance analysis at a higher level, and slowly drilling down until you find the small pieces that cost the most performance.

Your question serves nothing other than to try to make it seem that you are clever. Those who insist on showing the world how clever they are... rarely are.

#52     Dec 19, 2005
  3. nitro

nitro

I agree with most of what you say. But unless you want to go through life taking little tiny leaps instead of giant leaps to really learning something, I suggest you learn who to listen to, not just here on ET, but in the real world. In programming and computer sciences in particular, one good programmer or IT person can be worth 100 average ones.

Internet anonymous sites have very little content. Sites about trading have way less than that.

nitro

#53     Dec 19, 2005
  4. The second sentence contradicts the first sentence.

#54     Dec 19, 2005
  5. nitro

nitro

I assure you it won't affect me. Rewriting my program to use more efficient algorithms would get me 10 to a 100 times the returns than worrying about that. You are talking microseconds now when you deal with issues about kernel speedups. This is even more silly than the internet latency posts.

nitro

#55     Dec 19, 2005
  6. nitro

nitro

Not in my experience in this very narrow highly specialized subject area.

You can tell a persons experience very easily on these matters.

nitro

#56     Dec 19, 2005
  7. The point I am trying to make is that I would like to see who is really right. I don't want to read about who is smarter or better. I don't want to hear these two guys talking about each other. I don't want to read a debate about who is silly. I want each guy to explain the technical aspects as to why he is right, so I can compare the two viewpoints, and form my own tentative viewpoint. Namecalling accomplishes nothing. So can we resume this debate at the technical level, and stay away from the personal criticisms? I would very much appreciate this.

Nitro, here is your chance to provide some of that content that is missing from anonymous trading websites. Don't complain about the lack of content. Please, do something about it.

#57     Dec 19, 2005
  8. Sigh.

#58     Dec 19, 2005
  9. nitro

nitro

You will have to decide from what I have posted so far who is right. All that I willing to say on the subject for free I have already stated and the content is there. If you would like to hire me as a cosultant I would be more than willing to discuss the real issues with you.

Calling something silly is perfectlly reasonable assesment!

nitro

#59     Dec 19, 2005
  10. I'll have to agree with Nitro. This is getting silly. Common sense says that if modern *nix machines can easily fill a good portion of a gigbit ethernet with FTP transfers then you are kidding yourself looking at this sort of stuff when dealing with T1 or E1 speeds at around 0.1% of gigabit ethernet speed.

And yes I know the purpose of sleep and wakeup and have even written a Unix device driver some years ago - for a network adapter no less.

Some facts starting with the performance of exchanges would be educational at least and provide a baseline when discussing latency. I would certainly be interested in seeing that But just bashing brokers for 1 msec delays, RH7 or whatever is ridiculous without putting it in context of overall performance.

#60     Dec 19, 2005