Why is IB's time 5 seconds behind the official time?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Big Game Hunter, Apr 29, 2008.

1. TimberHill has mastered time travel.

#41     May 10, 2008
  2. fisho

fisho

A friend told me that IB data is lagging compared to an other broker.
    Someone could check this please ?
    Fisho

#42     May 18, 2008
  3. def

def Sponsor

your friend would be wrong.

#43     May 18, 2008
  4. Your friend is lying to you.

#44     May 18, 2008
  5. fisho

fisho

Well,
    let's try to be practical... there is internet latency. We are in Italy so maybe the italian server has a faster ping time.
    (fractions of a second)
    If someone could check again...

#45     May 18, 2008
  6. GTS

GTS

Check what? You haven't mentioned the other broker's name.

#46     May 18, 2008
  7. fisho

fisho

It is an italian broker. If we try different brokers possibly with the ping values, we could have a realistic picture.

#47     May 18, 2008
  8. JackR

JackR

Fisho:

Go here: http://www.pingplotter.com/. There are three versions. The freeware version, located at the bottom of the screen is good enough for what you want. Download. Run against your IB server and the Italian broker. That will allow you to calculate the difference in latency between IB and the Italian broker.

What you will not know is the time difference between IB's entire data path to its european(?) server and your Italian broker's data path between the exchanges and its server.

Jack

#48     May 18, 2008
  9. Tums

Tums

Don't be naive. This is being checked and compared every day, every minute and every second: Most traders have more than one datafeed and/or more than one broker. If there is anything fishy going on, you would have heard people screaming all over this forum. No debate is necessary.

#49     May 18, 2008
  10. promagma

promagma

I can tell you the IB time is pretty accurate (a few seconds off is possible though). So it is important to have an accurate system clock, and most are not. The problem is due to ACPI, and becomes worse if you have dual core / quad core / multiple processors. My clock was losing 2 minutes per day (bad for knowing when the market closes). There are a million programs to synchronize to an atomic clock, which can "fix" your clock every few minutes, but the most efficient solution is to disable Windows Time Service and get a real NTP service.

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/ExternalTimeRelatedLinks

The NTP service runs transparently, and only queries a time server as often as you need it. It uses smart interpolation to correct any "drift" in the meantime. It will keep your clock accurate to within milliseconds. I use the Windows port by Terje Mathisen. If you have trouble installing it, PM me.

#50     Jun 1, 2008