Why is GM failing so bad?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Wrong.
    Your analysis is highly naive and simplistic.

GM is failing because they spend $5 BILLION on healthcare alone and their pension plan is sucking them dry . . . It's all about being held captive by the Unions.

If you don't believe me, just check out the FACT that GM has $3900.00 per vehicle sold in Long-Term debt. Meanwhile, Honda is at only $110 per vehicle in LT debt.

Sad, but true.

#31     Nov 17, 2008
  2. Los Angeles is number one in a lot of things I dont care to have any part of

and it's only going to get more so

quickly

#32     Nov 17, 2008
  3. Well, do you think that they would negotiate a contract without a health care package? I mean if GM knew that this is going to affect them in the future should't the management not allow such generous health benefits? I mean the union's job is to fight for their workers, the management job is to keep the company profitable. if they allowed the unions to get health benefits, how is that unions fault and how can you not blame the management for allowing this?

#33     Nov 17, 2008
  4. Are you saying that Honda does not provide heath care benefits to their employees?

Are you saying that Honda does not provide pension plan for their employees?

Now, if this is true (and we both know it is NOT since Honda provides BOTH to their emploees), then how did GM was able to be profitable all thses years WITH generous health care plan, good pensions and union being present?

#34     Nov 17, 2008
  5. Evidently, this problem has leeched into their ability to produce vehicles of a quality and type to draw a sufficient crowd.

#35     Nov 17, 2008

6. AMERICA being the operative word here. There is more to this plannet than America.

National Enquireir is # 1 magazine in the US, does that mean it is the best????

Over 50 million people voted for Bush in 2004, a lot more than the number of Americans who voted for G. Washington. By your logic, since so many more voted for Bush it therefore must be a better president than G.W.

#36     Nov 17, 2008
  7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Nonsense. Germany is rife with auto unions and they are doing fine. It is the company management and the supplier contracting practices, clearly.

I'll likely get a taxpayer-subsidized-vehicle early next year. Thinking of that 2009 CTS-V, the one with 546 HP. I'll drive it 2-3 years and then get something else. Get that new car thing done at about 1/2 what I budgeted.

Yeah, I know Landis, you're going to come down with all kinds of sound and fury and insults. I'm not going fire back on you because I generally read your posts and most of the time feel the same way. I do try to ignore the vitriol. I simply have a different opinion in this case.

#37     Nov 17, 2008

8. Perhaps management should have concentrated more on desiging cars that were actually better than the competition. I am always amazed hoe American worker can build Honda Accord in this country which is one of the most reliable cars, yet the same american workers cannot do the same while working under US management.

Ford in Europe is doinf very well their Focus is a desirable car. BTW ford employees in Europe enjoy very nice benefits and are unionized just like car workers of BMW, MB, Volvo, VW, Porsche ect ect etc.

#38     Nov 17, 2008
  9. GM should GO Chapter 7 and then someone buy up all the assets for pennies on the dollars and hire back the whole wad at competitive wages (no pensions etc.. BS)

and call it NGM (New General Motors) And I bet that company will become profitable and survive.

#39     Nov 17, 2008
  10. Tums

Tums

Between 1982 and 2005, Honda invested and created four all-new generations of Civic.

In comparison, Chevrolet produced the same J-platform Cavalier in those years.

#40     Nov 17, 2008