Why is GM failing so bad?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Nov 17, 2008.

1. 1. labor is no higher than in other western world countries. I doubt german worker gets paid less to build cars in the "motherland".
    As for health care - GM could have lobbied the Congress to introduce universal HC. They sure did push other agendas on the congress.

2. Like I said management is at fault here.

3. same amswer - management

4. same again sucky management

#21     Nov 17, 2008
  2. jprad

jprad

3. Little being the operative word here. Get out more and you shall see what THE REST OF THE WORLD drives. I assure you it has that elusive T stampped somewhere on the body.

You are right the chance of spotting a ford or GM car are as elusive as spotting a carrera.

#23     Nov 17, 2008
  4. Depends what you consider to be the best.

Fuel consumption?
    frequency of repairs?

I take a Land Cruiser over any american truck any day.
    BTW I once drove from New York to Panama and back so I have been off road a little bit and unlike fellas who buy their trucks to drive to a local "get together to clime a bit and get dirty a bit" I have done the whole 9 yards.

#24     Nov 17, 2008
  5. clacy

clacy

I totally agree that management is at fault in items 2-4. But do you honestly think that the unions aren't to blame for #1?

Sure the Germans are likely making quite similar money, but those cars are selling for twice as much as American cars. Their quality is vastly superior.

#25     Nov 17, 2008
  6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Well, wrong again. There are more Porsches within 1 hour of my location than in all of Europe. Los Angeles is Porsche capitol of the world jackass.

#26     Nov 17, 2008
  7. jprad

jprad

F-Series Celebrates 25th Anniversary As America's Best-Selling Truck

"Ford F-Series is celebrating its 25th anniversary as America's best-selling truck, and its 20th anniversary as America's best-selling vehicle – car or truck."

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/news/ford25.html

#27     Nov 17, 2008
  8. #28     Nov 17, 2008
  9. jprad

jprad

Yep, the carry vs. operating costs chart shows that buying it once it's 2 years old and keeping it for no more than 3 is the lowest TCO you're going to get.

#29     Nov 17, 2008
  10. No need for name calling sir. Los Angeles is number one in a lot of things. This however does not change the fact that outside your little enclave, (meaning the US) most people prefer Toyotas when it comes to trucks.

#30     Nov 17, 2008