Why is Cramer saying to stay away from the markets?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Port1385, Oct 15, 2008.

1. bxptone

bxptone

He was on the TODAY Show when the DOW hit it's most recent bottom 8000 saying sell your stocks so you have enough money to survive the next 3-5 years.

Then the Dow rally nearly 1800 points.

EDIT Actually let me quote him "I NEED YOU TO SELL"

#11     Oct 15, 2008
  2. #12     Oct 15, 2008
  3. #13     Oct 15, 2008
  4. The guy was a raging bull at DOW 14,000 and all the way down until last week (below 10,000).

Who cares if he "saved" you 15% since last weeks "sell" call. If you followed his advice, you would have been bankrupt months ago.

#14     Oct 15, 2008
  5. Each candle on the below chart represents 3 months or one quarter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#15     Oct 15, 2008
  6. Chood

Chood

I notice there's about one thread started a day with cramer in the title. Shouldn't there be a cap on the number of threads cramer and his interns can start a day? Reduce a bit of the clutter, you know. It reminds me of the Timmay craze which afflicted the board for awhile. There are other obvious similarities.

#16     Oct 15, 2008
  7. because they are dangerous

#17     Oct 15, 2008
  8. nitro

nitro

That is silly. The correct equation is:

4a + 3b + 2c + 1d = x
    1e + 2f + 3g + 4h = y

where a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h are the prices you bought.

Obviously the average price of x and y are vastly different if you don't get timing right.

The correct answer to investing isn't when [which is what you are indirectly suggesting by your equations], but what.

nitro

#18     Oct 16, 2008
  9. #19     Oct 16, 2008
  10. I am not a trader but an active investor who is looking for the long haul and primarily ~30 stocks 20 fixed and 50 percent cash now. My retirement accounts are fully vested and I am buying stuff every week. (all equities now some preferred and some speculative)
    At the SP 750-800 and the DOW 7000 ALL(speculating of the poster) this will be factored into the price and the markets. Likely, we shall have some insurers go under but Buffett is watching these and he knows a great deal more about reinsurance etc than Kramer or the combined brain trust of day traders here on ET. The average guy like me has a job( or a business), 401k and maybe speculates a little like gambling in Vegas, averaging into a 401K/IRA even if you are 50, is not a bad idea especially if you "think" you will time this market by catching the bottom. Empirical studies have shown that only very few and lucky can do that. Cramer is an asswipe and he says things self-serving as most idiots on TV.

#20     Oct 16, 2008