Why is Chicago losing population?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Oct 31, 2013.

1. achilles28

achilles28

Because it's overrun by criminal blacks. Chicago is the murder capital of the US.

2. Because its cold. Now with the invention of the air conditioner people are moving south because its en vogue to enjoy the weather.

3. 1) Housing projects have been demolished and those former occupants are in Section-8 housing in the suburbs. :eek:
    2) It's possible that there is an incorrect census count of Mexicans due to illegal immigration. :mad:
    3) Average family size is trending smaller. Where a family of 5 used to live, there's now a family or 4 or 3 instead. You have the same housing supply with fewer people on average living there. :(

4. My friend who had lived in Chicago all his life moved to Arizona last year.

Told me he loved Chicago, but at his age the bitterly cold winters had become too much of an ordeal.

I would guess weather is certainly a factor at play.

5. toolazy

toolazy

not in us but anyway...

if country has 50m people on food stamps, rise in taxes, not many want to go in this country and one that are there, are likely to leave. There seem to be no opportunities for anything.

anyway, that is how us looks from distance these days.

6. The white flight away from blacks is happening everywhere in the country.
    Combine that with horrible taxes and you have a rush for the exits by the productive tax paying base.

7. zdreg

zdreg

8. What I came in here to say.
    Before anyone accuse me of being racist, I'm black myself.

9. In the past ~10 years the (black) people who can afford to move out of the city have moved to the suburbs. (Nobody WANTS to live on the South Side of Chicago - all the steel mills are long gone, and there is not much industry left.) White people did this migration 50+ years ago.

When I was a kid in the 70's there were two black kids in my Junior High (of 250 kids), and now the kids in my hometown are about half black and half white.

And it's hella cold ! Hence why I moved to San Fran.

#10     Nov 1, 2013