Why is buying physical currency expensive in the US?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Take USD , credit card.

Credit card via ATM normally is quite good - decent exchange rate + 3% or so. Pull a couple of hundred Euro at the airport in an ATM via credit card.

Then change USD to Euro at a local european bank the next day. NOT at the airport.

Simple like that ;)

#11     May 26, 2012
  2. Surdo

Surdo

Check on the website of your bank, they sometimes have reciprocal arrangements with other banks overseas to save the ATM fee.

You also need to notify your banks security department that you are going overseas, or you will be shut down after one transaction.

#12     May 26, 2012
  3. Its not even worth the hassle to try to buy other currencies in the US. It just costs too much. You get a pretty fair exchange rate in most cities. Usually you will pay about 3% more than spot...if you go the the bank, they might give you spot, but then they will charge a 3% fee, so either way, you're getting charged 3%. So dont waste too much time shopping around trying to get an extra euro. No...where they really screw you is the prices over there. You'll go into a small shop and pay the equivalent of $3 for a 16 oz bottle of coke or pepsi. You'll take a 10 minute taxi ride and pay 50 euros.

#13     May 26, 2012
  4. Definitely, but nowadays you're getting screwed 20% cheaper on EURUSD :)

My solution to the high cost of currency exchange is to use the ATM. Also, I never take out small amounts. I don't mind hitting the ATM once for 500 EUR and just keeping the leftover currency for the next trip. Call it a tiny dollar hedge.

#14     May 27, 2012
  5. You should also consider the prices of stuff apples to apples as well. Most Americans see sticker shock when they go to the capital cities of Europe, such as your $3 soda. But you might also pay $3 for a soda in NYC vs. whatever you pay in a small town here too. Plus the issue of the VAT being included in the sticker prices vs. not.

#15     May 27, 2012