Why is Al Gore...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sardo_Numspa, Aug 1, 2003.

1. such a retard? Listen to some of the things this guy has said:

"A zebra does not change its spots."
    - Al Gore, attacking President George Bush in 1992.

"We can build a collective civic space large enough for all our separate identities, that we can be e pluribus unum -- out of one, many."
    E Pluribus Unum is the motto on the Great Seal of the United States of America, and is Latin for "out of many, one," not "out of one, many."

At an event in Las Vegas on Monday, 09/1800, Gore declared potential breast cancer victims faced "a long waiting line before they could get a biopsy or, uh, or a uh, another kind of, what am I looking for, a sonogram or...." People in the crowd shouted "mammogram."
    (Source: Fox News 09/18/00; MSNBC 09/21/00 - The News with Brian Williams)

"When my sister and I were growing up," Mr. Gore told a small audience made up mostly of women, "there was never any doubt in our minds that men and women were equal, if not more so."
    (Source: NY Times, 08/12/00)

Oct. 25 2000 JACKSON, Tenn. (Reuters) — Criticizing Bush's Social Security privatization plan at a rally in Tennessee, Gore said, "He is proposing to privatize a big part of Social Security and he's proposing to take $1 trillion, a million billion dollars out of the Social Security trust fund and give it as a tax incentive to young workers."

Milwaukee, WI - "I'm very familiar with the importance of dairy farming in Wisconsin. I've spent the night on a dairy farm here in Wisconsin. If I'm entrusted with the presidency, you'll have someone who is very familiar with what the Wisconsin dairy industry is all about."
    (Sources: Sunday, June 18, Atlanta Journal Constitution and The Washington Post, June 14, 2000)

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet"
    Gore said when asked to cite accomplishments that separate him from another Democratic presidential hopeful, former Sen. Bill Bradley of New Jersey, during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN on March 9, 1999.

2. Ahh-it brings back memories of the all time great, Dan "Potatoe" Quayle:

"I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people."
    "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
    J. Danforth Quayle

"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a
    mother and child."
    Vice President Dan Quayle

"Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts."

"Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."
    Vice President Dan Quayle, 8/11/89

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is
    being very wasteful. How true that is."

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I
    mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I
    didn't live in this century."
    Vice President Dan Quayle, 9/15

DS

3. What the media did to Dan Quayle was criminal. Dan Quayle and his wife Marilyn, who in my mind is far more impressive intellectually and character-wise than Hillary Clinton, are two of the most decent , well meaning people you could hope to know. I have met them both under circumstances where the average pol would not have given me the time of day, and they were very gracious. Dan's supposed intellectual deficiencies are a cruel joke of the sort that ONLY gets played on conservatives. This would be the same media that gives the likes of thugs like Al Sharpton the utmost in respect. Anyone who makes as many public statements as the average politician will utter the occasional misstatement. I dare say Dan had no more than his share, but the media smelled blood. Even that potatoe thing was bogus. He was using a spelling card on which the word was misspelled that way. Accident? Or clever set-up?

I briefly met Al and Tipper Gore and I have to admit they were very charming. Unlike Clinton, Al is quite an athlete and man's man. I honestly believe he might have been president if he had followed his true beliefs and not tried to ingratiate himself with the worst of his party. But he made his bed and ultimately had to lie in it. Certainly his time in the Clinton White House had to be excruciating for him, as he was being constantly mortified by Clinton's lapses and Hillary made repeated brazen attempts to basically replace him, at one point even trying to commandeer his office for herself.

4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Oh, good grief!!

5. I don't really buy into this idea that it was all the media's fault. I am no fan of Clinton, but he was very articulate, a guy with a quick wit and a razor sharp intellect. And yes, I was disgusted with his conduct and all for his impeachment. Back in 2000, when all of the political dirty work was in full force, the skeletons in both Gore's and Bush's closet were released. I was somewhat shocked at Gore's academic record, which was just as abysmal as Bush's. So, neither of them had any academic pedigree, even though it was implied that Gore was something of an intellect.

One thing I can say for Quayle. He is/was probably the best golfer to have ever served in the White House. He is a legit single digit handicap.

6. Intelligence is overrated as a qualification for the presidency. No doubt Clinton was one of the brighter guys to ever sit in the Oval Office, but Reagan was ten times the President he was. Character counts for a lot. So does respect for the office, the Constitution and the voters.

7. Magna

Magna Administrator

I agree with you about intelligence (although, if comparing apples to apples I prefer it) but have trouble with the 10X comparison. In the Reagan administration, ignoring the more than 100 people who were indicted, there were 30 people convicted of crimes of conduct while they held office or various posts. In the Clinton administration there was a total of 1 person convicted. Yep, one, the Chief of Staff of the Secretary of Agriculture (in a case involving football tickets). And that was after 7 independent counsels (spending over $80 million taxpayer dollars), more than a score of congressional committees, lawsuits, thousands of journalists investigating, etc. So even if we also ignore Colonel Oliver North's sworn testimony of Reagan lying, and accept that the President of the United States was a befuddled man totally kept in the dark about the Iran-Contra link by national security advisor John Poindexter, judging by the conduct of people under his watch it's hard to claim Mr Reagan was 10X the president that Mr Clinton was based on character, respect for the office, the Constitution, the voters, etc.

8. Pabst

Pabst

9. My personal opinion is that Ronald Reagan saved our country. When he took office we were in retreat from the Soviets all over the world, had been humiliated by the Iran hostage crisis, our economy was a shambles and popular books speculated about the unstoppable Japanese economic threat. Using a framework of clearcut beliefs and principles, simple honesty and decency and an iron fist when needed, he turned this country around and made people proud to be Americans.

I am not at all impressed by a few people being convicted of largely bogus political charges. Policy differences were criminalized by diehard opponents in the Congress. Low paid appointees without personal resources or the massive slush funds that magically appeared for Clinton appointees were forced to accept unfair plea bargains or be ruined.

10. Pabst

Pabst

Exactly! Democrat Presidents committed hundreds of thousands of troops in Korea and Vietnam without Congressional approval, yet arms for hostages was criminal.

#10     Aug 3, 2003