Why is "ADD" called a disorder, let alone "treated"?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Cutten, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Ability to hyper focus.

If the task is interesting there is no stopping them.

Creativity.

#51     Jul 7, 2008
  2. I prefer a sprint to a marathon. I may take four separate sprints to run your mile while you may complete a mile non stop. I'm running a half a dozen various one mile races simultaneuosly.

#52     Jul 7, 2008
  3. While I agree that public schools are worthless for the most part, I have to say that if all of the couples that had children in the future were single-income families, there wouldn't be enough kids left to overpopulate the schools and overwork the teachers! I see where you're coming from, but single-income families are hard to find nowadays. It's just not financially feasible.

#53     Jul 8, 2008
  4. Agreed. Same story here.

I wasnt diagnosed until I was in college (simly b/c I managed to get through life pretty well, etc)

It is very much a double edged sword, as the severity of the condition depends on the individual.

Tried Ritalin when I was diagnosed (didnt do much for me) so I havent taken any drugs for it.

To me, the biggest problems are those indirectly attributed to ADD.. Low self esteem is common due to constantly getting reprimanded by family or teachers growing up in the formative years.

Also, inadvertant "self medicating" by possibly abusing alochol/drugs to "calm down" seems more common with those with ADD.

#54     Jul 8, 2008