Why is "ADD" called a disorder, let alone "treated"?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Cutten, Jul 2, 2008.

1. mokwit

mokwit

Can't help but feel you are conusing a wider mailaise within society with a very specific condition. I got NO breaks from parents who had been exposed to and obvercome real hardship or teachers (my school was identical with the one portrayed in Pink Floyd's The Wall) and am glad that at least there is some recognition of the fact that this is a condition.

#31     Jul 3, 2008
  2. mokwit

mokwit

Agree with much of this, but it seems difficult to become completely sympton free for any great length of time. It comes and goes depending on how much effort you are putting in to counter it but also it seems on a cycle beyond the control of that effort. Sometimes when I read out loud I slur my words and stumble, other times I read aloud like some senior scholar.

#32     Jul 3, 2008
  3. I am not saying that autism is not a disorder-- it most certainly is-- and that I don't know enough about it to comment cogently on treatment options. The OP was talking about ADHD, and someone else brought up OCD, which IMO are not physical disorders but rather learned conditions.

#33     Jul 3, 2008
  4. American parents don't educate their children anymore.
    They allow them to do whatever they want to and no wonder why the kids become wild when they grow.
    IMO ADD is not a disease, it's a way of making money, like many other disease US gov made up.

#34     Jul 3, 2008
  5. mokwit

mokwit

I was actually talking about ADHD most of the time. It can frequently occurr with Autism - specifically Aspergers Syndrome.

While there is no doubt in my mind that ADD/ADHD exists as a condition, specifically a "profile" (as opposed to disorder", I also agree that ADHD has become something of a catch all for attitudes and behaviours that are not ADD and are parentally correctable.

#35     Jul 3, 2008
  6. Joab

Joab

That's were the Faith in God part comes in. :)

You have to believe that it is possible first.

Next, you have to build in a pattern that solves problems that are out of contexts that he/she is familiar with.

If the problem is repetitive behavior, why not make the repetitive behavior "problem solving" :)

It requires some thinking to each specific case but you get the point.

#36     Jul 3, 2008
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

Lets not forget that it all boils down to sensory issues from mild to severe and different in every single case....

I have a son who was Dx's with autism at 3; pdd-nos at 4 1/2 and now is 6 and kicking ass and taking names...quirky little mo-fo...I had to teach him how to make friends from scratch...from the way to approach a kid to how to defend himself. every single step...smart, picky eater, super memory, not really inclined to do sports ( i had him in soccer for 1 year didnt really like it ), not once did i ever consider giving him any drugs, after years of speech and OT he is as close to NT as can be...and to be quite hoonest it wouldnt matter to me; id still be there teaching him right from wrong with the same dedication.

It is easy to blame the parent when one has not gone through the emotions and hardships this brings to a family and is ignorant to the degree of which a kid is on the spectrum ( they are just like NT kids all different ). The bottom line is that it has not one thing to do with how a parent raises that kid ( unless of course you tear down his self esteem ); it all boils down to how mild or severe his sensory issues are...so please dont be quick to judge those that have used medication for every case is different and unique. In severe cases there is no way no how one can go without medication....

p.s. Binary thank you soo much for your post...peace and good lucck

#37     Jul 3, 2008
  8. Growing up I was an ADD/ADHD child. I drove my parents crazy. My doctor and teachers all wanted me on drugs but my parents never gave in. To this day I am very happy they didnt. Because the not being able to "focus" is a blessing and a curse. Once you are forced to deal with it you learn to use it to your advantage. I multitask all day every day, I don't spend a lot of time on one thing, even trading. I check quotes and positions about every hour (forex) and have essentially moved to a time frame that lets me leave when I want.

As an adult I still have a ton of energy and do high intensity workouts every single day(lift weights or run 10 miles+).

#38     Jul 3, 2008
  9. mokwit

mokwit

Agree absolutely, especially about blaming the parents. My parents were just not the people I could have learned my former bad attitudes from. I actually find some of the comments made here by people who clearly do not have this in themselves or their family to be irritating and offensive.

#39     Jul 3, 2008
  10. promagma

promagma

If you are always fighting the symptoms, is it a cure or are you just coping?

It's bugs in the brain

http://www.marshallprotocol.com/forum37/4243.html

#40     Jul 3, 2008