Why is "ADD" called a disorder, let alone "treated"?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Cutten, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Cutten

Cutten

A couple of years ago I was amazed to see that the high-performance personality type described in the USA as "ADD" or "ADHD" was considered a disorder. This is strange because there is a strong correlation between this personality type, and high performance in fast-reflex pressure fields such as sports, hunting, air traffic control, fighter pilots, short-term traders etc.

What really staggered me was that not only is this bizarrely considered a disorder, but that adults and incredibly even children are actually given drugs to eliminate the "symptoms". IMO this is tantamount to child abuse, and in the case of adults I would consider any doctor prescribing this "cure" except in cases where the patient is truly dysfunctional to be a quack deserving of being struck off. It's equivalent to taking a champion prize-fighter and trying to reduce his testosterone levels so he is less aggressive, or trying to prescribe drugs to reduce the ambition and control urge of a natural leader/empire-builder.

Seriously, wtf is up with this borderline malpractise/abuse? I notice it is almost uniquely an American-driven phenomenon. Anyone with medical knowledge, or experience of this, care to comment? Is this yet another case of FDA/USA fucking up "out of the norm" personality types, a bit like Rearden Metal's experiences with opiates and depression?

2. C- kid

C- kid

you couldn't be more right

although few ADDs are too extreme and need drugs

many don't

for example, I had a strange anxiety disorder that isn't even in the books

its a very different one

I refused drugs
    I managed to cognitively cure myself

but that disorder has helped me ENORMOUSLY

because of it, I can understand things that majority of you can't

it has given me unique perspective

it took time and suffering to realize the benefits of it,

but yes indeed, attempting to treat all human unusual attributes is definitely a CRIME

its all about how smart kid's parents are, they will help him or screw him up

3. ATLien

ATLien

I've formed my own opinion on this, mainly from ongoing conversations with healthcare professionals.

Parents don't want to strive to be parents any more. Have a problem with your kid? Drag him to the family practitioner, get an ADHD diagnosis, and shut him up with some pills. Have any other problems that could be resolved? Well it doesn't really matter, take some antidepressants along with your other drug cocktails and you'll be a happy zombie. Instant gratification/satisfaction is priority #1, but who is really getting the shaft??

Secondly, the pharmaceutical lobby/sales force is just nuts. I worked in a hospital for a while (grad computer imaging research) and drug company reps would come by daily pushing this or that drug, and I know for a fact doctors got kickbacks for prescribing it a little more than they should.

Lastly, when I was a teenager, I had a hard time maintaining focus in the class room (probably because I was bored out of my damn mind). Teachers would actually tell my parents that they should take me to the doctor to get my checked out for ADHD and see if I could get a Ritalin prescription. Ridiculous.

4. C- kid

C- kid

ATLien I agree 1000%

now if I could only perform like that :D

5. Cutten

Cutten

I bet if you tested high-earning CBOT and CME floor traders, at least half would be "ADD".

6. Not ADD, but have you ever wondered how it is 1 out 150 children have Autism??

From Autismspeaks.org
    Code:
    Watch for the Red Flags of Autism

(The following red flags may indicate a child is at risk for atypical development,
    and is in need of an immediate evaluation.)

In clinical terms, there are a few “absolute indicators,” often referred to as “red flags,”
    that indicate that a child should be evaluated. For a parent, these are the “red flags”
    that your child should be screened to ensure that he/she is on the right developmental path.
    If your baby shows any of these signs, please ask your pediatrician or family practitioner
    for an immediate evaluation:

* No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions by six months or thereafter

* No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles, or other facial expressions by nine months or thereafter

* No babbling by 12 months

* No back-and-forth gestures, such as pointing, showing, reaching, or waving by 12 months

* No words by 16 months

* No two-word meaningful phrases (without imitating or repeating) by 24 months

* Any loss of speech or babbling or social skills at any age

Notice : "IN NEED OF IMMEDIATE EVALUATION"

I wasn't able to use the 2 word phrase "Fuck You" until I was a teen. I guess that's why Im a successful trader.

RicoRainman

7. Corey

Corey

The pendulum seemed to sweep in my family: OCD for the first borth, nothing for me, ADHD for the youngest. We are odd in that way.

I have seen first hand both the beneficial and devastating effects of both of these 'disorders'. That is exactly what they are: disorders. Well, at least the negative effects are. Let us not forget that both OCD and ADHD can vary drastically in their manifestations. My siblings are fortunate enough to have fairly mundane cases.

My siblings seemed to find that the key was only medicating themselves in situations where the downside far outweighed the upside. For my sibling with ADHD, this included periods of prolonged immobility, such as trips, airplanes, test taking, et cetera. It is similar for my sibling with OCD.

They both recognize that they don't feel right when taking their medication. I know an incredibly brilliant minded musician, composer, and artist who loses all creative ability when taking his ADHD medication. On the other hand, there are certain times, similar to those of my sibling, when he wants to take it.

The drugs have tremendous negative effects when used indiscriminately. From what I have seen, the secret is knowing when to take them.

8. ammo

ammo

for any add or adhd or ocd there are serious bouts of depression,this article was very enlightening,www.prohibitionkills.blogspot.com haven't tried it yet, add and adhd are very good at multitasking,lousy at 1 task at a time

9. This is strange because there is a strong correlation between this personality type, and high performance in fast-reflex pressure fields such as sports, hunting, air traffic control, fighter pilots, short-term traders etc.
    -----------------

Agree. Problem is children aren't able to channel the energy or focus long enough to derive a benefit whereas an adult may. Kids also may lack impulse control.

Parents or teachers want the kid diagnosed to obtain spec ed through the schools if they get classified, parents may get a monthly benefit check for having a kid with a disorder.

Often times the ADD or ADHD is accompanied with other problems or the result of other problems, they treat the easiest one or don't look any further.

10. Corey

Corey

Made me think of <a href="http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/22/17-gifted-children/">this</a>

#10     Jul 2, 2008