Why iPhone to cause AAPL to tank

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by increasenow, Aug 1, 2007.

1. again, market share will not allow the IPhone to "soar" ..to many competitors...again, shares will sink...

#21     Aug 2, 2007
  2. Phlub

Phlub

As I said in my previous post, I do have an iPhone.

Here are what I consider the biggest flaws.

1 - battery. As much as it is unreal having a full blown iPod that can play videos, music, etc., these things KILL the battery. So - you find yourself surfing the web, watching uTube, playing music and video, and then you suddenly remember that this is your phone! And the battery is getting killed. And, if you want to change out the battery (it is good for 400 - 500 charges they say), you have to send it in to AAPL. Very bad.

2 - email. This is more business/Blackberry related, but email is a deal killer if you are strongly considering Blackberry. iPhone downloads snipets of your emails, but NOT the whole thing (it seems to download them everytime you open them). So - the iPhone does not take 'ownership' of the email. If you lose service or whatever, you cannot read, reply to them. This is MAJOR for serious business needs. In addition, Blackberry 'pushes' emails to you as they come in. Not iPhone (you can have it check every 15 minutes, but once again, this will drain the battery). As for me, as a trader, I am glued to a PC all day, so email away from the desk is more of a luxury than a requirement.

Another problem - which is somewhat of an annoyance, but not major - is that the software does 'lockup' or 'freeze' from time to time if you start going too quickly. This could be fixed in a future release, but it is worth pointing out.

Despite all this, the layout, look and feel are beyond amazing, and absolutely worthy of the hype!

Anyways, that is my two cents.

Phlubber

#22     Aug 2, 2007
  3. Despite the recent price decline which I attribute to profit taking and selling on the news. I think you are crazy for trying to short appl. This stock had insane momentum to the upside and you never go against that no matter what a product may or may not do down the road. The effect even if the iphone COMPLETELY fails is way way down the road from what can happen with the stock in the near term and destroy your options investment. It can easily rebound and go on another tear. This thing ran up and profit taking and selling on the news kicked in recently. I do not see this stock as a wise move in the short direction.

Also a phone for $500-700 is pretty ridiculous but the price will come down just like any other electronic device.

YOU ARE GUESSING something may happen and that is a very poor way to be trading and will make you poor.

Also it is generally a bad idea to be shorting in a Bull Market(unless you see something like the subprime debacle taking apart a sector). That is more mo you are going against.

Don't do this.

#23     Aug 2, 2007
  4. Hmmmmm...looks like a great call now...did anyone short when I suggested it?...thanks!!!

#24     Aug 15, 2007
  5. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

#25     Aug 15, 2007

6. Well.... the whole market went down the drain, so you could have pretty much shorted any major stock and come out ahead.

#26     Aug 15, 2007
  7. could not have bought VIX calls though...

#27     Aug 15, 2007
  8. No it is a terrible call based on the reasons you cited. Aapl has been dropping due to reasons having nothing to do with iphone...like the rest of the market tanking and dragging it down with the rest of stocks.

#28     Aug 15, 2007
  9. Why did 500$-700$ anything 5 years ago stay around?

#29     Aug 15, 2007
  10. That's fine. The iPhone isn't meant for you then.

#30     Aug 15, 2007