Why Interactive Brokers Founder Fears Bitcoin Futures

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by ajacobson, Nov 11, 2017.

1. There is no patent.

Anyone can create a better mousetrap for a trivial sum relative to mkt cap of btc

Zero moat.

The only moat are the metrosexual goons that are kiting this garbage.

you want to depend on them?
    [​IMG]

#31     Nov 13, 2017
  2. just21

just21

Starts the second week of December. Source cnbc.

#32     Nov 13, 2017
  3. Sig

Sig

It was and is trivial to make a better product than Windows, MSFT Office, Facebook, even our own Elite Trader bulletin board.... There's a thing called network effects or increasing returns to adoption at work when you talk about a product like bitcoin that far outweighs the cost to make a copy. That's the barrier to entry, not the technical specs of the product. Interesting concept, pretty fundamental to doing a strategy analysis of many products that have come out of the tech space in the last 25 years, well worth learning more about.

Bitcoin may well be a footnote in history in 5 years, but that analysis of why is naive, which I guess is no surprise since coming from a post with a picture of Depend undergarments to make whatever point it was the post was trying to make.

#33     Nov 13, 2017
  4. "It was and is trivial to make a better product than Windows."

I guess the cluelessness extends beyond crypto

#34     Nov 13, 2017
  5. Sig

Sig

"Anyone can create a better mousetrap for a trivial sum relative to mkt cap of btc"
    Linux was created for the trivial sum of free relative to the $600+ B market cap of MSFT. At many points in time it was/is easily as good as or better than Windows, and the main reason MSFT is still the dominant OS is because of the barrier to entry of network effects that Windows had built up. Windows is a Strat 101 case study on the concept of increasing returns to adoption. Like I said, it's a pretty interesting concept that all of us who are entrepreneurs try to work into our product, it's really not a concept up for debate among anyone who has any experience in business. If you could see past the need to denigrate, you might learn some interesting stuff.

#35     Nov 13, 2017
    Cuddles likes this.
  6. of course you're right, windows is just a hack , prospering only because folks are too lazy to remove their Windows Inside stickers.

[​IMG]

Super Glued personally by Billy Gates

#36     Nov 13, 2017
  7. Jankovic

Jankovic

In order to contain risk fo the leverage, the only way is to reduce tick value from 25$ to 5 $
    Tick is 5 point ($) and the value is 25$. It is too big for retail traders that use leveraged accounts.
    Simply reduce to 5$ the tick value. Yes 5x5 is ok. 5x25 is crazy, stupid without any sense

#37     Nov 15, 2017
  8. JackRab

JackRab

Margin and therefore leverage is set by looking at underlying value... and since 5x5 = 1x25 there's not point in changing tick value.

#38     Nov 15, 2017
  9. Millionaire

Millionaire

CME seem to think price limits in the futures will tame volatility in the Bitcoin cash market.
    Going to be interesting to see what happens in the cash when the futures go limit up or limit down.

#39     Nov 15, 2017
  10. JackRab

JackRab

I think those price limits are stupid at 20%. But I do think vol in BTC will drop when futures trade actively. More liquidity basically... and if there are options, even better.

IMO when designed properly, the price of the futures will dictate and drive the BTC price during normal trading... except on certain events, like with Zimbabwe buying BTC at stupid levels. That will drive futures.

#40     Nov 15, 2017