Why I think Java will take the lead over C++

Discussion in 'App Development' started by wavetrader007, Dec 6, 2011.

1. You can still leak objects if they remain in scope. Crap attached to a singleton for example.

#21     Dec 24, 2011
  2. To whinge about IDE licensing costs admits that your code will not be worth that cost. If that's the case, it sucks to be you.

The memory management argument is a ruse. GCs stop everything and their timing is unknowable. So, your real-time trading system will PAUSE from time to time, to release out of scope objects. That's a bit of a pisser when you're sending orders to market, and want to hit the price you see right now. Sorry, bad fill, was doing a GC. Tell that the the head of desk & see if you last the day...

Grow up and learn C++. Punch that hippie who taught you Java.

Even then, if Java's still your thing, then hey, enjoy the open source culture, spend your weekends contributing to some framework for $0, dream about scrum, kanban, extreme programming, and whatever other micromanagement tools you skateboarders dream up. Go get drunk with the other back office wannabes. Whatever. Get a side job teaching Java to other failed programmers ;o)

Too harsh? Critique it.

#22     Dec 24, 2011
  3. Easy to critique. First determine what your real time requirements are, and then look at GC performance in your context. It may be good enough and it may not be, but you'll never know without proper analysis. Hand waving is not a lot of use.

C++ or Java or anything else and fills are still going to be missed sometimes. The point surely is whether the GC (and there are multiple GCs to choose from) makes a significant difference to the number of misses.

Faster development may be sufficient to compensate, if the Java system is in production while the C++ system still has developers pouring over valgrid or suchlike trying to sort out various types of memory abuse due to some less than expert programming.

Of no little importance is the likelihood in many circumstances, that the best language to use is the language that the programmer or team have the most experience and expertise in.

As usual, in the real world there are trade offs to be made.

#23     Dec 24, 2011
  4. Of course anything may happen, but I can't see why Oracle bought SUN if not for Java and the corporate Java user base. For SPARC?

In the unlikely event that Oracle drops Java, somebody else is bound to step in to provide paid professional support. The Java user base is enormous. Java is probably the number one language. Think mobile devices too.

#24     Dec 24, 2011
  5. Oracle is suing Google for $6.1 billion over java. That will almost pay for the Sun acquisition. I don't see them dropping support for java while the lawsuit (and its appeals) are ongoing.

#25     Jan 17, 2012
  6. Epic

Epic

I was going to ask a question you are alluding to, because I'm an idiot when it comes to programming. But I was going to ask how mobile devices effect the situation.

#26     Jan 17, 2012
  7. In terms of lines of code out there, I think VBA is probably under-reported, in the same way that certain crimes are underreported.

#27     Jan 17, 2012
  8. chacha

chacha

#28     Apr 7, 2015
  9. i960

i960

Compare the average code quality of a Java programmer vs a C or C++ programmer. Enough said.

#29     Apr 7, 2015
  10. lol, how is that possible with C#/.Net stack having killed Java already some time ago. Not many new software projects are started with Java as core underlying language, if it comes to compiled, higher level, abstracted OOP languages, then the choice pretty much clearly goes to C# (unless of course machines run Linux), and I only talk about projects that target higher level OOP languages. And there has never been a contention between a low-level language such as C++ and abstracted languages like Java or C#, so I am not sure what you are talking about.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    #30     Apr 8, 2015