Why I think Java will take the lead over C++

Discussion in 'App Development' started by wavetrader007, Dec 6, 2011.

1. nope.. that is completely wrong, reference counting is not used as the way of garbage collection in any java vm i know of.

a form of memory leaks can happen in java but they are very rare (and technically they not really memory leaks as the objects are still being referenced).

I coded C++ for fours years before switching to java in 1998.. the jump from C++ to java is almost like jumping from years of programming with assembly code and then switching to programming with C. In both cases you are giving up performance and control for a easier and more higher level style of coding.

#11     Dec 10, 2011
  2. cookding

cookding

Thanks for the correction. I googled and indeed Java does not use reference counting garbage collector.

#12     Dec 10, 2011
  3. Qbit

Qbit

Not that your points don't make sense, but I think this industry is heavily based on C++ and excel at the moment. If people decide to drop C++, it can only be for a language that is supported to work alongside Excel, it can't be Java, it could be C# or F#.

On the other hand, C++0x is coming out soon, if it's convenient enough to use and well documented, I can't see C++ dying too soon.

#13     Dec 11, 2011
  4. the1

the1

Many colleges are beginning to drop C++ in favor of C#.Net and/or Java. I'm a C++ guy b/c I'm a bit of an old fart but I've begun developing in C# lately because the writing is on the wall. C++ isn't going to disappear but it is becoming increasingly less popular.

#14     Dec 11, 2011
  5. Hi everyone,

I am planning to start learning Java to design my ATS. Is there any recommended resource to start learning java just for a specific purpose which is designing an automated trading system.

If you have any, please share.

Thanks

#15     Dec 23, 2011
  6. rosy2

rosy2

True but I think that's strange. Learning the basics is easier when you use something like C that allows you to see what's really happening.

#16     Dec 23, 2011
  7. Craig66

Craig66

It's not about choosing one language over another, every language has basically the same structures and concepts, it's about good design and being pragmatic. All of my GUI is in C#, it's pretty hard to beat C# for rapid GUI design. My server side software is written in C++0x style C++ because it's fast and portable. I was running Linux on the server side, but I switched to windows as I found VS2010 generated faster code and debugging was easier (VS's debugger is leagues ahead of gdb). I'm not going to die in a ditch over ideological decisions. Anyway, writing the ATS is the easy part, it's what you do once it's finished that really counts.

#17     Dec 23, 2011
  8. Free is worthless if not properly supported. Is Oracle going to support Java ? Does anyone know ? Of course not, only Larry knows that.

C# Dot-Net is becoming the Windows platform standard programming language. You cannot separate the two.
    Visual Studio 2010 is one impressive platform for development. Java has undergone many IDEs....remember JBuilder ?
    History.

#18     Dec 23, 2011
  9. I work with Eclipse that is a standard Java platform. Very nice and expendable. It is also free. Apache code base has a lot of free Java libraries supported by millions of Java Developers from around the world. If you interested to pay Microsoft $2000 every few years per developer than go with C#. However Microsoft is not a kind of company it used to be. It is more of an Excel/Word/Desctop shop and is not very popular among enterprises. Oracle/IBM will never switch from Java to C#, so are 90% of Web sites that have Unix backends.
    After all that, competition is good for both Java and C#. Good luck with choices.

#19     Dec 23, 2011
  10. Craig66

Craig66

The express editions are free and perfectly functional.

#20     Dec 24, 2011