Why I Shorted MRK: The Math $1Trillion

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by fxpeculator, Aug 19, 2005.

Is Merck a short Here?

1. Yes, this is a short, clear as day, this is a potent downside catalyst

23 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Yes, shorted also, was a great trade

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Not ashort, Dividend is worth the risk, I say Long

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. This is not a short, Normal Overreaction today

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. I am staying on the sidelines, no bias long or short

9 vote(s)
    15.3%
  6. I would not be Greedy and take profits Monday morning

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. If you believe in the wisdom of the marketplace as evidenced by the implieds in the MRK options, mrk has a slim to none chance of ever getting to 30 in 30-40 days. I have to put on this spread holding my nose. Hope it works.

#61     Aug 23, 2005
  2. Which spread?

#62     Aug 23, 2005
  3. sep/oct calendars

#63     Aug 23, 2005
  4. As I posted earlier in the thread near the start, this was considered an "Easy" short just like GM was...if ya know what I mean. In that, every hedge fund piled in and lost!

The sell off was overdone and this bounce is not surprising to me. 28.50 would not surprise me. :cool:

#64     Aug 24, 2005
  5. This bounce was on much less vol than the 3 downside days. There is a difference between MRK and GM . Before Friday's verdict, less than 1% of the MRK 2.2 billion share float was short. MRK has about 4X the float of GM. At the time of the GM squeeze, there was not a normal short position in the stock, a great deal of shorts were playing a hedge with their bond positions so if it wasn't for the bond play, one could argue the move would not have been so aggressive. Also, you could not short GM at the time because of the float being soaked up on the short side.

Everyone is long MRK! The market will trade in the direction where the most can lose their shirt. Here, it is not even debatable that most of the street are long this stock. Going long MRK is not a contrarian play. Shorting in itself is contrarian to some degree. Being contrarian for contrarian sake is a quick way to the poor house. Sometimes, it is the simple, easy, no-brainer, no quant analysis, no Elliott Wave analysis trades that will coin for you the best.

#65     Aug 24, 2005
  6. SO AHHHHH, HOW ARE THOSE MRK SHORT POSITIONS COMING ALONG? What part about "near-term priced in" do you not understand? :confused:

#66     Aug 29, 2005
  7. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

I bought Jan calls, looks like MRK's bad news are all out.

#67     Aug 29, 2005
  8. So you think that Bush is a poor powerless weakling who cannot do anything to change the "liberals" in power? Get real, the media and corporations are in his back pocket. Oil and the rest.

p.s. how the "easy" shorts doing on MRK?

#68     Sep 1, 2005
  9. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

MRK looks bullish now, even PFE is looking to move up.

#69     Sep 7, 2005