Why I quit algorithmic trading

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Maverick74, Sep 26, 2011.

1. If you're implying that trading is a "mathematical area," then you're dead wrong out of the gate, kid.

In fact, it's a lot closer to poetry. And furthermore, the entire premise is barely naive, but that's beside the point.

Points 1 and 2 of the original post are unchanging truths.

The rest sounds like an advertisement.

#21     Sep 27, 2011
  2. jprad

jprad

Tool???

Cut the crap and man-up, weasel.

By posting it verbatim without a closing comment you've endorsed what he wrote.

#22     Sep 27, 2011
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Huh? Closing comment? Hahahaha. Dude, I posted an article. Read it or don't read it. I don't care. Welcome to the internet huckleberry.

#23     Sep 27, 2011
  4. Whoever wrote it is a failure and a loser. Never get advice about trading from losers. Get advice only from winners. It's that simple. Applies to everything. Think about it: if you planned to open a restaurant would you take advice from a loser or from a winner with a very profitable operation?

#24     Sep 27, 2011
  5. sell 1,000 dow @ 26.22
    buy 1,000 wag @ 33.75

reversion to the mean trade, paper trade.

#25     Sep 27, 2011
  6. WS_MJH

WS_MJH

hear, hear. We need more of this. There's too much failure and rooting for failure on this board. Many people probably want others to fail, but don't be dissuaded.

Most interesting thing is that he worked with profitable traders and was not able to translate their system into an algo. Algo trading isn't my area, but he either can't code well or he needed to focus on strategies that work well with an algo system, instead of a discretionary system that is based on someone's mind and experience.

#26     Sep 27, 2011
  7. This is the key point imo - to me this says he spent his time coding other people's strategies and never spent time developing his own. The fact that he worked in trading is irrelevant, this appears to say he just spent his time coding (could've been any other industry).

Maybe I'm wrong, but this doesn't send a very encouraging message about his experience. M2c.

#27     Sep 27, 2011
  8. Virtually 100% of my profits come from capturing the spread...
    It's the core earnings engine for every successful trading firm.

You can do momentum or reversion or quant whatever...
    That stuff works well in high volatility periods...
    But it's the spread that keeps you in business year after year.

Also, there is no such thing as a "trading firm" anymore...
    What used to be a "trading firm" 10 years ago...
    Is now a software firm that develops and deploys trading software.

Wait... this is top secret information, nevermind.

#28     Sep 27, 2011
  9. I'm not sure why people keep saying that market conditions change. They do, but not fundamentally, and that in turn proves that traders have merely come up with a strategy that only works within the current zeitgeist. A sphere of quasi-consistency. I have been applying the same tactics for over a decade and it still works the same like on the first day.

#29     Sep 28, 2011

10. flat dow @ 25.15
    flat wag @ 33.86

#30     Sep 28, 2011