Why I might vote for Barack

Discussion in 'Politics' started by John_Wensink, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Evidently you don't remember that inflation was above 18%, and interest rates above 20% under Jimmy Carter. Under Carter we has something called the "misery index", which was the total of the unemployment rate and the inflation rate. It hit almost 22% under Carter, a record in the modern Presidency. LOL.

Maybe there's just a little bit of a doubt eh?

OldTrader

#21     Sep 23, 2008
  2. ak15

ak15

No point getting into an argument with an ego troll.

#22     Sep 23, 2008
  3. Whatever you idiot. Why not try making a few informed posts for a change? Insert a few facts into your claims.

OldTrader

#23     Sep 23, 2008
  4. jem

jem

As a 45 year old - I could not agree more. Jimmy Carter sucked so bad he told us we did not even have a future as a leading country anymore.

Bush may have discredited us true... but carter rotted us from the inside. Bush seems dumb. Carter is a man with large brains and wrong perceptions and interpretations on just about every subject. He actions were so abysmal you can not fathom it.

Want to know why old Bruce Springsteen songs and Billie Joel and many of the other songs from the late 70s were songs were great... Because they were about rising up out the ashes that Jimmy Carter's policy of despair self loathing and incompetence.

#24     Sep 23, 2008
  5. ak15

ak15

I feel sorry for you old man.

#25     Sep 23, 2008
  6. Why doesn't it surprise me that when you have nothing substantive at all to say, you resort to another attack? LOL.

OldTrader

#26     Sep 23, 2008
  7. Not if you knew how much money he has....

OT is right though. Actually he's right like...always. America has been so prosperous since Reagan that an entire generation has seen little or no adversity. Now they're freaking out. It's like watching the Patriots playing without Tom Brady. When I started working at the CBOT in the late 70's older guys looked upon eating lunch out as a luxury. This was a generation who "brown bagged" it. I can't remember the last time I've seen someone rightfully deduce that they'd save a couple of grand a year by sticking a cold cut on their own bread rather than hitting the Burrito Buggy or Mickey D's. Let alone these friggin' yuppie places with their 5 dollar crousiants.

How many of us gratuitously waste a dollar a day on bs. That extra newspaper we never seem to read, the more expensive parking garage that's a closer walk. The premium cable package we hardly use. All that excess consumption fueled things. Now it's time to re-assess priorities. It'll be interesting....

#27     Sep 23, 2008
  8. ak15

ak15

Money has nothing to do with it. Something to do with - Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

#28     Sep 23, 2008
  9. I think they were bad in different ways. Carter seemed overwhelmed by the job and became demoralized. He projected weakness. For a guy who commanded a nuke boat, he had very little command presence.

Bush by contrast tends to overreach. His one huge mistake was going into Iraq. He didn't seem to understand that democrats in congress would be implacable foes totally unlike the good ole boy dems he could do bidness with in texas. So he ended up going along with ridiculous spending but got nothing in return.

I think if Bush could go back and undo the Iraq disaster, he would have been a middling president. With Carter, it was not one thing, it was everything.

Looking forward, I think it is somewhat fair to compare McCain with Bush and Obama with Carter. McCain is tough but prone to bad ideas. Obama has not been tested and could fold like a cheap lawn chair in a crisis. He runs whining to the media now when he is criticized. Like Carter, his priorities elevate secondary concerns above critical ones. Carter pushed human rights over national security. Obama pushes marxist economics over a sound economy and global popularity over our own vital interests.

#29     Sep 23, 2008
  10. The world views McCain as a geriatric and demented version of Bush and they hate Bush.

The world loves Obama.

The US needs 2 billion a day of foreign capital to stay afloat.

Don't be daft and vote Obama or reep the consequences.

#30     Sep 23, 2008