why I just loaded June calls on the silver train

Discussion in 'Options' started by mksummny, May 5, 2011.

1. Shagi ..... Why didn't you comment on this May 29th thread if you knew silver was going to crash? Those $0.25 puts are now $37.00.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=219693

Instead you come out of the woodwork after the big move and rationalize it in hindsight, as if it could have been expected.

#31     May 5, 2011
  2. Shagi

Shagi

That is correct.

#32     May 5, 2011
  3. Shagi

Shagi

Of-course it was expected did you think it was going to $60?

There really is no hindsight - I'm just not lazy about my work and I comment when I wish to do so.

#33     May 5, 2011
  4. heech

heech

By the way... a 2.5 sigma daily move happens approximately twice a year. That's what happened with silver, and is not a black swan.

A 5 sigma daily move (assuming normal distribution) happens approximately once every 10,000 years... now that's a black swan.

#34     May 5, 2011
  5. hajimow

hajimow

+2

#35     May 5, 2011
  6. Magic8

Magic8

SLV 28 by tuesday. Kinda hang there for a couple months.

Should have bought those May 46 puts, last week.

Stay away.

EDIT: Eventually, we're headed back down to 18. Aug 09 to present is nothing but a lie, folks.

#36     May 5, 2011
  7. S2007S

S2007S

Look at ZSL, up nearly 100% in only a week!!!!

Thats pretty crazy, now seeing Silver drop as hard as it did, it can rally really hard as well, however this time $50 might be out of question, if it were to get to $50 or even $60 or $70 how long would it be able to hold those levels? Again this was a given that a drop like this was going to occur, however I did not expect such a drop so quick, I thought the 40% correction like I predicted on April 29th would have come a lot later and would have taken a lot longer, weeks for that matter not 4 days!

Im thinking of buying some AGQ when silver gets down to around $30-$32!

#37     May 5, 2011
  8. S2007S

S2007S

Another huge reason for the drop in Silver was the larger margin requirements, that being the case its going to be a lot harder to drive the price back to $50+

#38     May 5, 2011
  9. This was not meant to be a pissing match between longs and shorts. I just wanted to catalog my entry and exit. It was also meant to teach the newbs on the consistency of the 3 day margin phenomenon that I have seen so many times. Today still could end up RED but over the weekend and Monday is the really good bounce day imo.

#39     May 6, 2011
  10. Aren't they increasing margins again on Monday?

#40     May 6, 2011