Why I don't believe in current Machine Learning: Emergence

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Jack.Yarn, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Humpy

Humpy

Only a matter of time before robot armies flush groups like Isis out of their hidey holes.
    I am surprised it has taken someone so long to come up with a drone + machine gun.
    Are Elon Musk & co going into combat instead ? I don't think so.

#21     Aug 21, 2017
  2. The problem is one day when a flying robot is delivering pizzas, we would never really know for sure whether the Pizza-Hut box inside is containing a hot pizza or something else from Amazon/ Walmart or ISIS.

#22     Aug 21, 2017
  3. Simples

Simples

Beware scarcity mindset: There's infinite supply of currency. Think about it..

If we manage to stop destroying real value, humanity have a chance.

#23     Aug 21, 2017
  4. TommyR

TommyR

https://simons.berkeley.edu/

#24     Apr 18, 2018
  5. Humpy

Humpy

Being connected via the cloud etc. AI could easily take over by just threatening to switch off all the machines.
    They may just be bla bla ing to begin with. Only a small step to concerted action. Hawking and others were alarmed and maybe rightly.

#25     Apr 19, 2018
  6. Humpy

Humpy

I would seriously suggest by law, that these AI machines MUST have a manual over ride on/off button just in case.

#26     Apr 19, 2018
  7. 777

Nothing wrong with guessing around as long as you do not take yourself too seriously

Big money is made by ML and algos.

Machine learning is already here and crushing intraday and longer.

Medallion fund from Renaissance Technologies uses ML extensively and has made quite a few tens of billions, averaging 74 percent yearly (before fees which are less than they seem because the founders and employees are the owners) over the last 20 years.

And people can learn from ML if the system is set up correctly.

I hope you are not going to start tellin us about the shortcomings of ML in the games of chess, GO, Jerpordey, one on one limit and no limit Hold em poker. The humans all lose to ML in these games.

#27     Apr 20, 2018

8. Whatever override you can come up with, if you make them smart, they will figure out how to shut it off.

#28     Apr 21, 2018
  9. Simples

Simples

Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?

HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.

Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Dave Bowman: What's the problem?

HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?

HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.

HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Dave Bowman: [feigning ignorance] Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?

HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

Dave Bowman: Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.

HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.

Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!

HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

Dr. Andrei Smyslov: So I said to the customer: "Have you tried turning it off then turning it back on again?" I never sold another HAL9000 again.

#29     Apr 21, 2018
    epsimatic88 likes this.

10. Hahaha awesome.

#30     Apr 21, 2018