Why I changed my mind in one day on Deep Learning!

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Jack.Yarn, Aug 23, 2017.

1. I hadn't even read the paper when I read the title: I knew I was wrong on the spot. I now believe Deep Learning almost certainly works.

An exact mapping between the Variational Renormalization Group and Deep Learning

https://arxiv.org/abs/1410.3831

2. It is important to distinguish intelligence from consciousness, or perhaps something simpler but more important, morality.

It is hard to argue about these things because even scientists don't have precise definitions yet. How can one debate when you don't even know what you are debating about?

But that doesn't stop us from a first approximation debating before reaching the science: We do this through Philosophy.

The video below is one part of four parts, and are most see. I am posting video three because it is very interesting to me. But everyone should watch all four parts.

First the book that started it all (actually it was Turning and Godel that started it - Penrose just picked up the ball later)

The Emperor's New Mind: Concerning Computers, Minds, and the Laws of PhysicsKindle Edition
    byRoger Penrose(Author),Martin Gardner(Foreword)

Here is the video:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  3. What will happen when quantum computers and nano-technology are married?

Imagine a billion quantum computers that fit inside the space of a human skull, all communicating with each other. :wtf:

4. Humpy

Humpy

I wonder just what all the millions of unemployed are going to do for a living when the AI boffins get going !
    I think the National Guard will be busy.

5. We already know the answer to that from an economic point of view: Universal Basic Income.

I agree that there are other problems, but I suspect that those will be worked through too.

777, Macca1 and johnnyrock like this.
  6. SteveM

SteveM

Agreed. The desire to frolic through cemeteries tearing down statues is not an idea borne from the minds of people putting in 60-hour work weeks.

7. No one seems to be discussing if we are creating a race of slaves. Will these "beings" be property?

"When Data resigns his commission rather than be dismantled for examination by an inadequately skilled scientist, a formal hearing is convened to determine whether Data is considered property without rights or is a sentient being."

8. SteveM

SteveM

Thirty years ago, the prevailing thought was that technology improvements would shorten the workweek while simultaneously boosting the standard of living for all demographics in the United States.

Reality has shown that the exact opposite has happened. I wouldn't hold my breath for UBI showing up anytime soon.

9. "Did you program her to flirt with me"

#10     Aug 23, 2017