Why I am no longer a brain dead liberal by David Mamet

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

I think Mamet would agree with you and I'm sure he would cite the actual government's over involvement as one of the causes. From destroying our education system, our media, class warfare, foreign policy, the destruction of the family unit, subsidies, corporate bailouts, corporate welfare, the expanding of the overall welfare state and over regulation. That was his point. That if government just took their hands off the wheel, we would be OK! But they have not done that. Instead they have come to our rescue to basically destroy us.

#11     Jul 4, 2011
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

I was never a neo-con. I'm not an atheist. I'm not Jewish. I don't support nation building. And I don't support being the world's cop.

Denner, you need to understand there are 4 groups at play here, not two. Liberals, democrats, republicans and conservatives. They are not all the same thing. Liberals are not the same thing as democrats. I've actually supported democrats in my life. I hold liberals out in a very special group. So yes, I use that term "you liberals" a lot and I mean it when I say it because I am addressing "those liberals".

#12     Jul 4, 2011
  3. Ricter

Ricter

The most important line in the piece: "The play... when it's at home, [is] a disputation between reason and faith, or perhaps between the conservative (or tragic) view and the liberal (or perfectionist) view."

#13     Jul 4, 2011
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

That's it? That's all I get out of you? LOL.

"I recognized that I held those two views of America (politics, government, corporations, the military). One was of a state where everything was magically wrong and must be immediately corrected at any cost; and the other—the world in which I actually functioned day to day—was made up of people, most of whom were reasonably trying to maximize their comfort by getting along with each other (in the workplace, the marketplace, the jury room, on the freeway, even at the school-board meeting).

And I realized that the time had come for me to avow my participation in that America in which I chose to live, and that that country was not a schoolroom teaching values, but a marketplace."

#14     Jul 4, 2011
  5. Ricter

Ricter

He was an optimist, now he's a pessimist. Mortality salience, perhaps.

#15     Jul 4, 2011
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Huh? Are you sure it's not the reverse? He was a pessimist and is now an optimist.

#16     Jul 4, 2011
  7. Ok, maybe you're not a sockpuppet.

#17     Jul 4, 2011
  8. as678

as678

The only problem is that the people who run government do not live in the same America the bulk of the population lives in. They're showered with gifts from lobbyists, they handle the country's money and therefore conciously or subconciously favor their own ends.

Big government will always be inefficient and it will always favor those in power.

#18     Jul 5, 2011