Why hasn't Netflix acquired Gamefly?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by huh, May 6, 2008.

1. huh

huh

It seems to make sense to merge Netflix and Gamefly into one. I think Gamefly is private but then why doesn't Netflix try getting into the online video game rental service as well. Right now I'm paying to rent 1 DVD at a time at netflix and 1 video game at a time at Gamefly for a total of about 25 bucks a month.

If Netflix had both then they could talk me into upgrading to the 30 bucks a month for 3 DVD/Video game rentals a month. Plus it should be great for netflix because people tend to usually hold on to video game rentals for a couple of weeks rather than receiving them one day, watching it or burning it, and then sending it right back the next.

I dunno just a random thought as I annoyingly open my gamefly rental and my netflix rental. (Yes I accidentally sent a netflix DVD movie to gamefly cause I confused the stupid return envelopes cause I wasnt' paying attention in a rush!! :eek:

2. eventually the internet might take over delivery of games and movies making both business models obsolete. makes no sense to buy a company when netflix might have to change the business model anyways in the future and could create their own gamefly business for less.