Why has the turtle trend-following system stop working?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by helpme_please, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Sergio77

Sergio77

#21     Aug 9, 2015
  2. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

Time series momentum die (trend following)?

#22     Aug 9, 2015
  3. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

Faith.JPG

#23     Aug 9, 2015

4. Sounds like he drove away without paying for gas or didn't pay his lawyer or something--- any details on what happened?

#24     Aug 9, 2015
  5. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

Maybe you can find an ET intern to check the State logs across USA. He was dinged 3 arrests in Virginia in 2014 to go with (2) 2015 arrests in Georgia. And of course in addition the CFTC banned his firm permanently. His video gives the best answers:

That video was before his second 2015 arrest.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    #25     Aug 9, 2015
  6. kut2k2

kut2k2

Did it not work because you used the original parameter settings? Or did it not work even after you changed the parameters to optimize the PnL?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    #26     Aug 9, 2015
  7. Visaria

Visaria

No, the facts are correct. He made the most money THEN (he was recruited at age 19 by Richard Dennis). He might be in unfortunate circumstances NOW.

He also started up tradingblox, which is a trading system simulator software used by many successful traders and hedge fund managers that i know (i would have purchased it myself, but i was already using amibroker).

I understand you were were unhappy with him because he criticized you for selling the turtleturtle methodology that was not for you to sell...he responded by giving the rules away for free...nice one, Curtis :)

#27     Aug 9, 2015
    Rimping and TimtheEnchanter like this.
  8. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

1. Performance proof for Faith as a Turtle doesn't exist. For other Turtles? Exists.

2. The Turtles were paid an incentive fee just like managers of today. Faith did not make himself 30M. Your source for this? Exactly.

3. The Turtles all went out on their own to trade after the Turtle program. Faith did not. Faith's one firm started years later in the 2000s and ended in a permanent bar by the CFTC for what the CFTC believed were violations of the Commodity Exchange Act. It should be also noted that one of the employees was stealing client money to add to his "barbie doll" collection.

If someone wanted this information kept secret, yes I expect they would criticize me. Clearly, only a sock puppet could buy into the Faith story, but as PT Barnum famously noted: "There's a sucker born every minute."

#28     Aug 9, 2015
  9. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

#29     Aug 9, 2015
  10. Macca1

Macca1

lol.

#30     Aug 10, 2015
    wwatson1 likes this.