Why GURUS will kill your trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by TheBestGuruEver, Jun 13, 2009.

1. classic from

Ms Varima-Garch

-------------------------

It's ok to be a trading guru. If I remember my Sanskrit correctly, "guru" means "someone who, being preoccupied with matters of nirvana, never trades, and has never traded, but teaches others how to trade, to finance his serene being"

That's what it is by definition, so nothing wrong with that.

------------------------

i see more gurus losing money today, but don't worry, they have 4 days to magically get that one trade (likely SIM) and ride it as long as needed to take care of all the losing ones.

if not, then they come back and talk about how they made 100 points in the middle of the night or when they couldn't be in the room. they get mad because you ask for proof. how dare us? they charge to teach, why should they prove anything?

if you charge someone to tell them how to trade, please show us some actually statements from clearing firms.

#11     Jun 15, 2009
  2. Its natural for new and struggling traders to be confused and angry. Money is a "hot button" issue for all of us as it is closely related to our survival and status in this culture.

I agree that there are many wannabee vendors out there who aren't qualified and should not be "teaching" anyone. The problem for many newbies is that these people know just enough to fool them

Thinking about it I have to agree with Roman Candle. If you charge for services, a skilled pro ought to be willing to establish his track record in a concrete manner. Long ago I remember talking to Chick Goslin (author of "Trading Day by Day"). He gave it a whirl, teaching several seminars on swing trading futures. He was willing to display an audited record of his brokerage account to potential students. I like his approach by the way for those interested in longer term trading. Frankly I don't know of many others willing to make the same committment to their students.

On the next level, I think there are people willing to point struggling traders in the right direction without asking for money. As one can imagine their "services" are limited (as they should be) and I don't think they should be bound by the same requirements. In those instances, a student should simply ask, "does this information help me to move toward my goals"?
    "does it make sense"? "Is it something that I can build on"? and finally "is my trading improving as a result of using this information"?

Hope this helps

Stevesbg

#12     Jun 15, 2009
  3. Mav88

Mav88

I don't understand one thing, why the urge to help?

This is a zero-sum competitive game that depends on hoards of money losers, but some here want the impossible- that everyone who works real hard can make money.

#13     Jun 16, 2009
  4. If you are asking me why (the urge to help) the answer is simple

I remember how it felt to be a net loser and not know where to turn for help....I realize that I can't help everybody, but I can help those few who are willing to do a little work on their own. So I hope to give a few people a fighting chance by pointing them in the right direction. Kind of completes the circle for me...I plan to do this for just a little while longer and then go elsewhere.

#14     Jun 16, 2009
  5. Mav88

Mav88

I think the markets are a piss poor place to play out such personal dramas. This isn't a collaborative win-win environment.

#15     Jun 16, 2009
  6. Well I guess I will have to carry on without your approval

Nice talking to you.

#16     Jun 16, 2009
  7. Mav88

Mav88

This is a forum, approval isn't needed for anything.

I'm just curious about human nature, why a trader would want to do something like you is beyond me. You just got through pointing out how useless gurus are, but then you want to give back because either apparently you were helped by a guru or else you are in effect becoming a guru.

#17     Jun 16, 2009