WHY GM will blow up...

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Trend Fader, Nov 9, 2005.

1. One obvious one:

If GM were found to have been seriously cooking the books of the financing unit the whole thing will blow.

#51     Nov 15, 2005
  2. #52     Nov 15, 2005
  3. Except for the Corvette, GM's cars are boring and behind the curve. The don't call GM Generic Motors for nothing. There are far too many levels of management, too many decision makers and too many models to build to have much passion for design and performance in the company. Great cars are the result of one man's vision - Ferrari, Porsche for example. Even though they have come forward somewhat, GM still has too many people doing too many things to come up with a dynamic, forward-looking product that will excite the buying public. Betting the ranch on the new SUV models with oil and gas priced this high seems like a good bet for failure. I think GM's many problems - car design, unions, legacy payments, health care costs, etc. are too much to overcome this time. The last American car I bought was a Z-28 Camaro 25 years ago. It was a great car until everything started breaking and rusting out. I'll never go back to the US, except for maybe a Ford GT 40. I blame the GM executives the most for GM's situation. The Laws of Group Dynamics break down when too many people are running the game. "Where there is no vision, the people perish." Proverbs 29:18.

#53     Nov 15, 2005
  4. GM brands: Olds (retired), Buick, Chevy, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Caddy - sad thing is its all the same shit, same platform and everything only differant badge. WTF how bout having two brands like profitable car makers like Honda, Toyota, and Nissan - one for the masses and one a luxury brand. I say keep Chevy and Caddy and get rid of everything else. If they still can't make it due to pension/healthcare costs then outsource production to Mexico or China and keep design in the US.

#54     Nov 15, 2005
  5. You know who will blow up?
    Kirk Kirkorian. Sad a billionaire who's about to throw away a big chunk of his money on a shit company in the twilight of his life. I'd not be happy if I'm a hier to his fortune (or what's left of it).

#55     Nov 15, 2005
  6. Babak

Babak

I agree. I think the China opportunity is under the radar of most people. The market there is astronomical and it is growing more than anyone ever thought possible. GM has a very nice chunk of it. Their future is in China.

#56     Nov 15, 2005
  7. I think GM puts out some great cars.

I have a 57 Belair Hardtop and a 64 Impala Convertible sitting in my garage. They are great cars, with great design.

Oh, you meant lately their designs suck. Ok, I agree. Nevermind.

#57     Nov 15, 2005
  8. bighog

bighog Guest

For a few years now i have been calling "THE BIG THREE" , THE DIMINISHING TRIO".

but as much as i agree that GM, FORD are behind in new modern engines, engineering etc, they are not yet history.

GM and FORD are car manufacturers of cars for the masses, yes so is Toyota, Honda etc. With the new competition in this different era surely their market share was to shrink.

The "FIX" is in...:) It will be up to GM and Ford to work out their problems and retain a nice third of the world automobile mkt. That is an awful lot of cars to produce and if they get it right, get the legacy stuff under control, they can become money machines. DO NOT COUNT GM OUT....:D

Crap like the HUMMER, Cadillac will not get it done.... The problem with Caddy is very simple, The Lexus, BMW, MBenz etc are the new age luxury cars. Caddy is a relic of the long ago times....it is time GM faced that fact...... They are for the going to the grocery store car, not to impress the neighbors... :D :p

#58     Nov 15, 2005
  9. bighog...Hummer and Cadillac are the official "luxury" car of the masses...don't you watch MTV cribs! lol j/k The targeted demographic on Cadillac and Hummer is very interesting...I think they are targeting the right people there.

BTW, my family currently has 20+ DTS...give them out to the employees. Cadillacs offer "luxury perception" at a fraction of the cost of import offerings.

I am all about the Gallardo and the E55 myself though...:D

#59     Nov 15, 2005
  10. gm 21.50 long 22.40 target

#60     Nov 16, 2005