Why focus on only one instrument while learning?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by sheepsucker, Mar 12, 2010.

1. bighog

bighog Guest

You have "ARRIVED", well done in a short time. You will scratch that "CL" itch and i am betting you will do fine.

Do not give up on ES, that dog will hunt again. Neighbor gal is doing really good, we cancelled a hedge account we had for testing some new stuff and reverted back to normal breakout stuff but with these smaller ranges lately now use the opening tick at the 0930 bar to start the day..........BOOM!!! over = LONG, under = Short, back to the line = scratch if possible, haha on that one, but keep losers small. Friday all the action was early, we got our 5 handle daily minimun goal (each) early and did a single trade for 2 1/4 handles as we watched tv of a trial on "InSession" formally Court Tv of a road rage case where 3 teens were killed in Michigan.

Trading and driving when upset does not work. Be cool on your stool.

Good grief, Charlie brown.............do women catch on to trading 10 times faster than guys?
    :D :D :cool:

http://insession.blogs.cnn.com/

#31     Mar 13, 2010
  2. imo crude oil futures are the most technically clean (least noise) and most dynamic since the ER2 at its zenith, before fading into obscurity.

CL(QM) has become my primary market too, and probably remains there for the next umpteen years. Hopefully so, because I resist permanent change much as anyone else. That said, no reason to drop your current bread & butter symbols any time soon. Not a big deal to monitor two stocks and one futures market at your stage of evolution.

Lastly, the difference in results from your sim to reality lies perfectly between your ears. The CL market has no idea whether you are clicking in sim orders or live orders... nor does it care. It only reflects back to you the results of your decision and action. Whether those dollar results logged are live or memorex is only in your mind, nowhere else :)

#32     Mar 13, 2010
  3. When you are starting out learning trading it would be counterproductive to start jumping from instrument to instrument. In the beginning you are learning "discipline" and developing your unique style. Stocks trade vastly different from stock options and futures and completely different from forex.
    I still have nightmares from stock options where even if an instrument does not move against you, you are losing money due to time decay.

Start out with stocks and go from there according to your preferences/success.

#33     Mar 14, 2010
  4. Are you suggesting that successful trading is defined by participating in all or most of a market's gyrations during the course of the day? I certainly hope that's not what you're trying to say. That sounds more like dreaming than trading.

#34     Mar 25, 2010
  5. Are you a one man band?

Have you tried playing the drums, guitar, bass, and piano at the same time?

#35     Mar 25, 2010