Why Fat is the Preferred Fuel for Human Metabolism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DT-waw, May 20, 2011.

1. Right, and it shows the lack of causation. There is obviously great benefit to green leafy plants in the diet, but it fails as "THE" diet. I don't know wtf McDougall is, but he/she is entitled to their opinion.

I imagine the population of Sri Lanka is a suitable sample.

#51     May 23, 2011
  2. atticus, check this out. tell me what you think..

http://www.drmcdougall.com/bill_clintons_madness.htm

#52     May 23, 2011
  3. I'm healthy and I eat carbs. I know many healthy people who eat plenty of carbs.

What, suddenly carbs are really bad? If you're healthy keep doing what you've been doing. If you're unhealthy then you better change up your diet.

Carbs are a great source of energy.

This is another case of people trying to make money out of a new trend.

#53     May 23, 2011
  4. #54     May 23, 2011
  5. I would really want to know what you eat.
    Would you post actual items you consume in one day ? How many lbs,grams and caloric total for a day ?
    Thanks

#55     May 23, 2011
  6. NoDoji

NoDoji

Have you read The China Study? If not, please don't form opinions based on the commentary of others (including me). Read the book and form your own opinion. The conclusions of the controlled studies documented in The China Study aren't exaggerated; Campbell simply presents the results of the studies. He didn't extrapolate the results of the animal studies to humans; instead he and his team embarked on a project to see if in a large human population with very diverse diets a correlation could be established backing up the laboratory evidence. As I said before we can't subject humans to carcinogens in a lab environment. All we can do is look for supporting evidence.

Conclusions based on epidemiological studies such as the extensive study of the Chinese populations involved here will be, by nature, subjective.

Read the book and draw what conclusions you want from it.

After a cursory glance I can respect Harriet because she appears to look for actual valid double-blind studies to back up claims, she reveals that supplements have no concrete scientific evidence backing up their claims (true), and she doesn't have much respect for Andrew Weil (he sells supplements and "waters down" scientific evidence).

However, this statement she makes is ludicrous (though understandable considering the sheer weight of propaganda foisted on us by the dairy industry): "If cow’s milk is prohibited for growing children and osteoporotic adults, they will likely need a supplemental source of calcium and vitamin D. Without careful nutrition guidance, children deprived of milk might end up malnourished. Breast milk is animal protein – should we avoid breast-feeding too?"

The myth that cow's milk prevents osteoporosis and is necessary for proper nourishment and bone growth in children is a huge lie continually promoted in our schools and popular media by the dairy industry with the blessings of the dairy-industry connected USDA and the industry's own well-funded marketing arm. It's no wonder Harriet believes the myth; she was raised on it just as I was and just as our children continue to be.

"Vitamin" D is added to cow's milk and many other foods, and is not a natural source of this hormone.

Plant-based sources of calcium are perfect for proper nutrition and bone health. My calcium levels after 5 years with no consumptions of dairy products were perfect and continue to be so.

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archive...airy-products-the-answer-to-osteoporosis.html

http://www.notmilk.com/calbones.txt

Breast milk is animal protein indeed. It's designed for the infant human. Cow's milk is designed for the infant cow.

#56     May 23, 2011
  7. NoDoji

NoDoji

Here's what I consumed today:

4 cups of white jasmine tea

Smoothie consisting of 3/4 cup blueberries, 3/4 cup raspberries, rice milk, pure cocoa powder, nutritional yeast, and ground flax seeds. (Sorry, Tobbe, no kale today :p ) (Approx 600 calories)

Brown rice pasta with Mondo Bizarro sauce (Moosewood cookbook classic, I leave out the cheese and oil)

European whole grain rye bread with baba ganouj and a pile of salad on top

Lima beans

Fresh pineapple

Fresh peaches

In fact, the only thing I don't eat is meat, eggs, animal milk and its products, refined oils (I eat the whole food the oil comes from), white flour and refined sugar.

I eat a nutritional high density cornucopia of food and leave out the nutritionally void foods.

#57     May 23, 2011
    #58     May 24, 2011
  9. maxpi

maxpi

My thinking is that plants require little of our enzymes produced by our pancreas for digestion and frees them up for doing repair work.. thus my decision to eat a high protein diet [and supplement with lots and lots of stuff from the Health Foods store] unless I'm trying to recuperate from something...

In reading Genesis I discover that the diet was all plants until after the Great Flood at which time meat was added... the Flood changed the Earth drastically and meat supplementation had to be instituted... now modern farming has reduced the nutrition in plants and meat drastically and we are deeper in a trap.. people that don't take the changes induced by the Flood into account assume that nature that we see is what it is supposed to be.. it isn't EVEN... so going "natural" is partially stupid.... but if it's taken to mean stepping away from processed foods then it's a step in the right direction.. Nature just doesn't provide what we need nowadays, not after the modern farming and hybridization of plants and grain fed slaughtered animal protein are taken into account... we have to try to get what nature provided after the Flood and before modern food production [range fed beef and chickens, legacy plants, etc...] and we have to further supplement to make up for the shortfalls from the altered nature we live in and that takes some expertise in supplementation.. like I said before, I do my own due diligence in all things, I'm pushing 70 and my bp is 120/70, resting rate is 55-65 and blood oxygenation is 98% [and I had a bit of a flu bug when that was last measured... ]

I've known vegans all my life, they are missing what it takes to do comprehensive thinking quite often... in fact it's medical science that vegans have difficulty [or complete failure] in the stages of psychological development of the teen years...

I'd go pure vegan to free up enzymes to get over something but I'd be jonesing for some range fed beef...

#59     May 24, 2011
  10. tobbe

tobbe

The China Study is an important book (and one I think everyone should read, I frequently buy it and give it away), but it is still just one book. There are several hundreds if not thousands of other studies that support the benefits of a whole plants based diet (it will minimize your risk for any disease of affluence, and can even reverse it).

There are, as far as I know, very few objective (where funding or intent is not questionable, like the Weston A. Price Foundation etc) studies that support any health benefits from the low-carb-high-fat (LCHF) diet fad, or from fat intake etc (apart from moderate intake like the need for omega-3's which you get from flaxseed or walnuts etc).

#60     May 24, 2011