Why everything you've been told about evolution is wrong

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jficquette, Mar 27, 2010.

1. I get the fact that many think the universe is far too perfect to have been random. But then again, who says the world is too perfect? By the same logic, couldn't I say "Man, this world is fucked up. Boy is it ever imperfect!" and therefore, god couldn't have created such an imperfect thing therefore god does not exist?

The theory of evolution is just that - a theory. Is the god hypothesis not, as well, just a theory? There are far more religious advocates who trumpet the god theory as gospel than there are atheists who trumpet their theory as gospel.

#51     Mar 29, 2010
  2. Ricter

Ricter

Given what we know about physics and chemistry, the forces at work at the molecular level, attraction, binding, could an entity such as the prion have evolved by chance? I say it could have.

#52     Mar 29, 2010
  3. given enough time (billions of years) and survival a PRION might eventually not only sit beside us but outscore in calculus class :eek:

#53     Mar 29, 2010
  4. jem

jem

"Richard Dawkins- The Person
    Clinton Richard Dawkins, probably the most renowned atheist alive today, currently serves as the Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science, University of Oxford, and Professorial Fellow of New College. Dawkins received his M.A. and D.Sc. degrees from Oxford University and has since been awarded five honorary doctoral degrees. Quite the rhetorician himself, Dr. Dawkins at least attempts to summarize his keys arguments for logical consideration.
    Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion On pages 157 and 158 of The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins encapsulates the central argument of his book in six points. The following comes directly from Dawkins’ book, except that I chose to shorten a few of the points here for the sake of brevity.1

1. One of the greatest challenges to the human intellect, over the centuries, has been to explain how the complex, improbable appearance of design in the universe arises.
    2. The natural temptation is to attribute the appearance of design to actual design itself. In the case of a man-made artifact such as a watch, the designer really was an intelligent engineer. It is tempting to apply the same logic to an eye or a wing, a spider or a person.
    3. The temptation is a false one, because the designer hypothesis immediately raises the larger problem of who designed the designer. The whole problem we started out with was the problem of explaining statistical improbability. It is obviously no solution to postulate something even more improbable.

4. Darwinian evolution by natural selection offers the greatest, most powerful explanatory scope so far discovered in the biological sciences. Darwin and his successors have shown how living creatures, with their spectacular statistical improbability and appearance of design, have evolved by slow, gradual degrees from simple beginnings. We can now safely say that the illusion of design in living creatures is just that -- an illusion.
    5. We don’t yet have an equivalent well-grounded, explanatory model for physics. Some kind of multiverse theory could in principle do for physics the same explanatory work as Darwinism does for biology. This kind of explanation is superficially less satisfying than the biological version of Darwinism, because it makes heavier demands on luck. But the anthropic principle entitles us to postulate far more luck than our limited human intuition is comfortable with.
    6. We should not give up the hope of a well-grounded explanatory model arising in physics, something as powerful as Darwinism is for biology. But even in the absence of a strongly satisfying model to match the biological one, the relatively weak models we have at present are, when abetted by the anthropic principle, self-evidently better than the self-defeating God hypothesis of an intelligent designer.
    7. If the argument of this chapter (book) is accepted, the factual premise of religion -- the God hypothesis – is untenable. God almost certainly does not exist. This is the main conclusion of the book so far.

http://www.allaboutscience.org/richard-dawkins.htm"

See that Stu read 4 and 5.... - you do not even understand science, even though I have spoon fed it to you. I realize it was too emotional for your brain power. But now it is clear for you.

Don't worry Dawkins tells you to not yet give up hope... for a model may come that explains the appearance of design. I agree ... but in the mean time... you have been owned.

#54     Mar 29, 2010
  5. Ricter

Ricter

I submit that we were prions a few billion years ago.

PS: it is a coincidence that I brought up prions, and Swiss cheese, in the same day.

#55     Mar 29, 2010
  6. For me the God hypothesis is a theory and I agree that far too many religious advocates trumpet the theory as gospel. What else they gonna' do?
    I don't think the world is fucked up, the people on it, that's another story. Leads to the obvious question, if people were created by the same being that created an otherwise perfect universe...WTF? I don't pretend to know the answer. My only argument is, and always has been, you can't dismiss the argument of creation as silly and then come up with something such as multi-universes as an alternative without the pot meeting the kettle. One is as far fetched as the other, and putting a complex math equation behind a theory doesn't make it any more believable, especially when you consider just how many assumptions are in those equations. Lot's and lot's of holes yet to be filled.

#56     Mar 29, 2010
  7. To be honest, your answer to my question is quite watered down with way too much information than required. As well, most of what you've presented seems to argue that the existence of god is proven due to flaws in the evolution theory, or that "there is no way this could have all been random, therefore god exists."

Instead of disproving evolution, try presenting evidence FOR creationism. It is not enough to say "the theory of evolution is flawed, therefore god exists." Is it not possible that there is an entirely seperate theory out there that could be correct?

Disproving evolution does not prove creationism. Again, pretend the theory of evolution has never existed. Now explain to me the evidence that god exists.

The only "evidence" I've ever come across, is something that was written in a book a long, long time ago, and passed on for centuries. And even this "evidence" has been altered/construed/etc. This is the reason I am not able to believe in god.

#57     Mar 29, 2010
  8. Ricter

Ricter

What is "evidence" is key. In the scientifc worldview, evidence is limited to the five senses and repeatability, and feelings are out. In the spiritual worldview, for lack of a better term, feelings are in. So, you have not come across any evidence because you do not have the God feeling.

#58     Mar 29, 2010
  9. I understand what you're saying. Which is why I cannot believe how so many people can believe in god. Sure, it is a possibility. Anything is possible. But I believe the probability of god existing, given the current evidence, is very low . I mean, honestly. What evidence is there of god existing, besides a bunch of stories that originated a long, long time ago?

#59     Mar 29, 2010
  10. Indeed, the definition of evidence is key (maybe the key) to this debate. Some scientists will spit out a bunch of intelligent, foreign sounding stuff and claim it as evidence. Those of us who can't understand what they're saying, really have no idea if they're making shit up or it actually is evidence. Which I think is why many religious people blow off certain scientific findings - they can't understand them. Then again, maybe they're just making shit up.

#60     Mar 29, 2010