Why Evangelicals Are Fooled Into Accepting Pseudoscience

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Sep 23, 2011.

1. bingo. i have been saying this for years. its willful ignorance:

"So why have evangelicals been so ready to reject the generally accepted conclusions of the scientific community on global warming?

I want to suggest that the reason has nothing to do with climate science per se, but derives from the generally dim view that many evangelicals have of science and scientists -- views that make it hard to distinguish credible science from fake challengers.

One of the strategies employed most effectively by evangelicals in their crusade against evolution, which does pose real, although soluble, biblical and theological problems, has been to undermine the entire scientific enterprise. If science is a deeply flawed, ideologically driven, philosophically suspect enterprise, then why should anyone care if almost every scientist supports the theory of evolution?"

Across the board we find evangelical Christians attracted to indefensible views in many areas: American history (the Founding Fathers intended America to be a Christian nation), sexual orientation (you can "pray away the gay"), climate change (not happening), evolution (never happened), cosmology (Big Bang is a big joke) and even biblical studies (the bible tells us what is about to happen in the Middle East).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karl-giberson-phd/evangelicals-and-science_b_975821.html

and to follow up. if you teach your children that science is evil how do expect them to become educated in the sciences. its no wonder the usa has fallen so far behind. there is a real cost to religious superstition.

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

2. Congratulations. This has to be some kind of record for the sheer number of misleading and inaccurate statements and assumptions in a single post.

A better question is why you are so threatened by what others choose to believe and why you are so hostile to religious freedom.

3. Right... what will you desperate libtards come up with next to try to resurrect your MMGW fraud/hoax? :p

4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

His obsession with religion is disturbing. Not quite psychosis but really weird.

5. But his delusions are psychotic, just like those of most of the libtards on this board :p
    Diagnostic criteria for 297.1 Delusional Disorder
    http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/disorders/delusionaldis.htm

6. your superstition is damaging my country as evidence by the 50% of americas who still believe an invisible man in the sky created this world.

7. jem

jem

And how do you know no one created the universe?
    Do you believe in unproven, unobserved multiverses?
    You realize scientists admit they do not know if the universe had a Creator... don't you.

its funny you pretend to think denying the existence of a Creator is a superior position, yet you if you were truly rational you would not be an atheist... you would be an agnostic.

8. jem we have been down this road before. you have a habit of making shit up. nobel prize winning scientists believe the universe was designed....bla bla bla. in every case i, stu and othere have shown you where you are wrong but you have a deep seated need to believe so you fall back on willfull ignorance to rationalize your beliefs.
    at least enlightened thinkers are making progress. i can remember when i used to debate bible thumpers who thought the earth was 6000 years old and was once covered by a great flood and an invisible man in the sky made man out of dirt. all but the most deluded have fallen back from that position to "intelligent design". soon scientific knowledge will be such that there will be few gaps left to slip in your god. education is making slow but sure progress:

http://scienceblogs.com/tfk/2011/09/on_reading_evolution_polls.php
    "couple weeks ago, Fox News released a new poll asking about evolution and creationism. It didn't strike me as especially noteworthy, though it does show a statistically significant rise in acceptance of evolution (21% think "the theory of evolution as outlined by Darwin and other scientist" is "more likely to be the explanation for the origin of human life on earth") since they last asked the same question in 1999 (when it was just 15%).
    encouraging. Although the fraction of the American public that agrees with the Young Earth Creationist position hasn't changed significantly for almost half a century, the fraction that agrees with the position taken by evolutionary biologists has increased very significantly since the Gallup organization first polled Americans on this question in 1982.

He also has a graph, tacking the 2011 Fox result on to the Gallup time series, as if it were directly comparable, and writing:

From 9% to 21% in only twenty-nine years (i.e. less than two generations)! If you plot the data, the increase is clearly exponential, with the inflection point at around 2006 (i.e. following the Kitzmiller-Dover decision). At the current exponential rate of increase, the "evolutionary biology" position should be the majority position within another generation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Throughout history, God has been shrinking. The time when the world was small and God was in control is always in the far distant, half-remembered past. The closer we approach to the present, the less common miracles are and the less accessible he becomes, until the present day when divine activity has dwindled until it is indistinguishable from the nonexistent. Where the Bible tells us God once shaped worlds out of the void and parted great seas with the power of his word, today his most impressive acts seem to be shaping sticky buns into the likenesses of saints and conferring vaguely-defined warm feelings on his believers' hearts when they attend church.

9. The whole idea that Christians reject man-caused global warming on religious grounds is absurd on its face. Many in fact have swallowed it.

The reason many have doubts is that Christians tend to be normal people who live and work in the real world, unlike the ivvory tower types who populate liberaldom. Hence, they are leery of wrecking the economy, tripling utility bills, and denying ourselves the use of the abundant energy right under our feet based on unproven and unprovable theories based on bogus data and dubious models but which just happen to provide a "scientific" justification for much of the extreme environmentalist agenda.

10. in most cases if you find a global warming denier, an evolution denier,a science denier you also find a christian. why?
    christians work hard at keeping their children ignorant:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpy_Z4Auj5g

#10     Sep 23, 2011