Why don't traders share strategies?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by nitro, Aug 18, 2008.

1. nitro

nitro

There was a thread that was posted that asked why traders don't share details of their strategies. I was going to respond to that thread, but I don't know where it is.

The basic premise of my reasoning/theory is, The Red Queen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Queen

If you can understand that, you don't ever need to ask that question again. This is not grounded in speculation. It is grounded in strong scientific theory of complex systems.

nitro

2. Why strategies aren't shared: No good deed ever goes unpunished.

3. My question would be: why DO traders ever share strategies at all?

Don't kid yourself, we are all each others' competition. Do armies share their strategies with their enemies? ... not successful ones.

4. bpcnabe

bpcnabe

My strategy:

I look for stocks that are cheap and I buy them with the intention of selling it at a higher price.

Sometimes I find stocks that I think will go down and look to short them and buy them back cheaper.

That's my strategy. Hope it helps.

:D

5. BullsEye

BullsEye

I remember in the movie "Patton" , Patton yelling: "Rommel, you magnificent bastard - I read your book!" and then going on to defeat him...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066206/quotes

6. BullsEye

BullsEye

I believe Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked it to Chit-Chat... :)

7. "I read your book"

Best reply that I've seen in a long while. Thanks for reminding me Bullseye.

8. It went to shitchat as it got a bit 'boisterous' :eek:

9. Wow, that's deep :)

10. If you had a formula to turn lead into gold would you share it? If you did then every tom dick and harry would turn lead into gold and then gold will be worthless.

Same with trading, if you find a good arb opportunity or a strategy and it had a strong positive success rate, guess what happens if you share it?

#10     Aug 18, 2008