Why don't the top 5% spend more and lift the economy?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by WaveStrider, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Mav88

Mav88

Well there is plenty of american shit that don't work either, my main point is that we are actually trading with a superior competitor and that spells trouble. They are just as skilled, if not more, but will work at a much lower wage.

Without a comparative advantage, American labor will be drug down.

#41     Sep 16, 2008
  2. vv111y

vv111y

You're killing me... and probably other people too

There's got to be a decent summary somewhere we can use.

#42     Sep 16, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

Recently wifey must have had some money burning a hole in her pocket.... "had" to go buy some new furniture.

Found some nice cherry wood stuff at one store for about $2900. Found some nice cherry wood in another store for nearly $10,000. When I asked the sales person why theirs was so much more expensive, she replied "ours is made in America"....

#43     Sep 16, 2008
  4. Plenty of research on the web and videos on youtube where people focus on key parts of NAFTA, WTO and the likes.

It's relatively basic at its nature:

1) destroy sovereignty
    2) consolidate power via a bureaucracy with no oversight
    3) consolidate wealth

It gets scarier when you get into the provisions about food & genetics.

#44     Sep 16, 2008
  5. So, which one did you buy?

#45     Sep 16, 2008
  6. No, they are not superior competitors. They are given superior leverage in the marketplace via free trade, which is not fair trade without proper tariffs. Given a choice of American-made or foreign-made at the same price, we always chose American-made until globalism started crapping on our way of life. American labor has been going down for two generations now. The only way to fix it is to reindustrialize America. Without it, we have nothing value-added to sell, even to ourselves.

#46     Sep 16, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

I asked her, "Would you rather have Door #1 + $7,000 to spend on other things" or "Door #2, and no $7,000"?

Which do you think?

Until 10 years ago or so, there would have been no "choice"... just Door #2.... That's NAFTA and its progeny for you.

#47     Sep 16, 2008
  8. bkveen3

bkveen3

I think gnome nails it on the head. It isn't about the rich giving to the poor. Its about the poor seeing the rich and trying to be like them.

#48     Sep 16, 2008
  9. poyayan

poyayan

That's some funny comment. Try to restrict your buying only to US made only. See how long you can last. Oh, no multi-national US stock neither.

US can't even balance the budget and therefore it is cheating money out of next generation. Now, you are talking about sacrificing yourself for US labor. Give me a break.

You call it cheap labor, the reality is US labor currently is not competitive. There are only 2 ways to fix it. Increase cost of foreign labor or decrease cost of US labor. Increase shpping cost will do it too. The gap is getting smaller everyday.

The real solution for manufacturing is neither. US once dominate manufacturer by assembly lines. It can once dominate again by fully automated manufacturing lines. But yea, that still won't help high school drop out.

#49     Sep 16, 2008
  10. Mav88

Mav88

No, they are not superior competitors. They are given superior leverage in the marketplace via free trade, which is not fair trade without proper tariffs. Given a choice of American-made or foreign-made at the same price, we always chose American-made until globalism started crapping on our way of life. American labor has been going down for two generations now. The only way to fix it is to reindustrialize America. Without it, we have nothing value-added to sell, even to ourselves.

fair trade = tariffs? the other guy would not call it fair, just goes to show the relative nature of that concept.

Actually I wasn't even thinking about just manufacturing, but rather the services and high tech. They are starting to put out more and better engineers which makes them a superior competitor. Why on earth would we want to trasnsfer more wealth to them than we have to.

#50     Sep 16, 2008