Why dont the airlines do this?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Dec 4, 2008.

1. bathrobe

bathrobe

airlines should charge by the pound, fat people make everyone else uncomfortable. I had to sit on a plane next to the most obese woman I have ever seen 1/4 of her blubber was pushing me tightly up against the window 1/2 was in her seat and the other 1/4 was making the other persons ride hell.

The PC bullshit has gone to far

Who wants to sit on a plane where the person spilling on to you is creating sweat between your arm and theirs, it is disgusting.

#11     Dec 5, 2008
  2. bathrobe

bathrobe

I am now going to go throw up because I had to think about the sweat

#12     Dec 5, 2008
  3. Now they have plane condoms for such encounters.

#13     Dec 5, 2008
  4. dtan1e

dtan1e

they sh forgo meals and air steward to cut cost, i can go without food for 20 hours, air flight meals taste like plastic anyway, though one can ask for meals but need to pay like duty free, hire fewer stewardess but better looking ones

#14     Dec 5, 2008
  5. Thats exactly right...and the reason fat people, (or tall people) will put up such a fight about this issue is because we skinny people have been buying their french fries our entire lives. They have never known what its like to pay for 3 orders of french fries and they dont think its fair to start paying more now.

Obviously the airlines are concerned about too much weight on the plane costing them more fuel because they charge extra for baggage.

Anyway...fat people that eat too much should pay more...and you tall assholes make more money on average per year, just cause you're freakin' tall, so you got the extra cash to pay more. :p

See this article that says someone who is 6 foot tall makes an average of 6k more per year that a guy thats 5'6

http://www.slate.com/id/2063439/

#15     Dec 5, 2008
  6. #16     Dec 5, 2008
  7. thedewar

thedewar

regardless, people often have little choice about their weight (overeaters sure). They can choose not to buy extra fries. They cannot choose (again with the exception of those who overeat) how much they weigh. Infact if they started working out you could encounter a weight gain just in muscle. You're really just encouraging anorexia with this policy. You're just saying they should choose not to travel, it has nothing to do with a freedom of choice. A person who is 5'11, in great shape, with a family who puts a heavy emphasis on physical fitness gets charged more than a bunch of "genetically blessed" skinny 5'5 people. This makes no sense.... retitle the thread to "why i think fat people are ruining airtravel". But charging people on something they have little to no control over is a ridiculous concept.

SOMEONE CAN CHOOSE NOT TO BUY 3 SETS OF FRIES AT MCDONALDS

THEY CANNOT CHOOSE WHAT THEIR WEIGHT IS

IF YOU HATE FAT PEOPLE, OK, THEN TRY TO IMPOSE A FATTY TAX

If you're skinny then yay God loves you more...

this really doesn't make any sense....

in principle sure, sounds like a fun idea... but again you have to try not to discriminate against people especially if you're in a position of government.

#17     Dec 5, 2008
  8. The original issue is whether or not airlines should base charges (or perhaps just excess baggage charges) on the combined weight of the traveller and their luggage.

Whilst some fat people may or may not be able to do anything about their own weight, they can certainly do something about the weight of their luggage.

Surely, airlines are discriminating against me as a skinny person when they charge me exorbitant fees for excess baggage, even though the baggage and myself combined weigh less than 200 pounds.

Is it not discrimination to charge me more, simply because the excess weight isn't in the form of self-propelled blubber?

#18     Dec 5, 2008
  9. euclid

euclid

A lot of fat people actually can't choose to eat less otherwise they wouldn't be fat. The ones that can choose to eat less can choose to weigh less.

Heavy people will use more fuel in their cars, they should get a discount by your logic.

I'm not saying the consumer should always pay according to what they use. There are things for which it is appropriate for consumers to pay equally or according to income. It just seems strange to me that discrimination against small people by the airlines is socially acceptable. Small people are charged MORE for the fuel they use than big people.

#19     Dec 5, 2008