Why don't Republicans belieave in Global Warming?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mahram, Jul 25, 2006.

Is the world getting warmer

1. yes

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Can you show me the logic of a warmer planet being healthy. Look at california. heat wave day 30. Longest in recorded history. European heatwave, week infinite. London is recording temperatures that are breaking records. You can look at california the results of a warmer planet. Their agriculture industry is being wrecked. Their livestocks are being killed by the high temp. They are suffering power outages. Is this good no. imagine 5 years from now, when this is common place around the entire United states. and not to mention over 50 deaths so far in california.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003152160_heatwave26.html
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/07/25/bloomberg/bxcom.php

#31     Jul 26, 2006
  2. Arnie

Arnie

Ok, the earth is warming. What do you want to do about it?

#32     Jul 26, 2006
  3. start preparing the population to deal with the new realities of the world. Stop encouraging people to move to areas where weather will be become more extreme. by encourage I mean by allowing subsidize insurance for hurricanes, fires, and storms. Prepare the agriculture industry for severe droughts that could last for years. Prepare the population to deal with droughts and water shortages. And prepare the population to deal with extremely hot summers with heatwaves that could start in early spring and not break till the beginning of october. You have to start preparing the population and the government. You can look at Katrina to see how unprepared the government and population is right now.

#33     Jul 26, 2006
  4. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

So, keep technology from improving the quality of life. Just stuff everyone with their sewage in a small box without food, water, and electricity. And then leave the rest of the world alone as a giant open space wildlife refuge. Give “environmentalists” everything they want, and that’s where we’re headed.

#34     Jul 26, 2006
  5. More all or nothing thinking.

#35     Jul 26, 2006
  6. One of the first major (IMHO) beneficiaries would be the tropical forest and almost all of its inhabitants. There are many species of dessert animals that would probably flourish also.

And strangely enough, I'd be willing to bet man will eek out an existence also. I'll bet in spite of itself, mankind will find a way. Of course the herd might be thinner. But if I read things properly, science claims we are heading to overpopulation and we should be thinned out by the environment anyway. Some of the basis for my statements:

http://dieoff.org/page27.htm

Oh, wait a minute:

http://www.jefflindsay.com/Overpop.shtml

Now I am confused. Both can't be right can they? Scientists who can't agree, hmm. Here we go again. :)

:)

#36     Jul 27, 2006
  7. And for those who choose not to listen/participate? Can we ignore them when the tragedy strikes (please)? For those who choose to do their own thing in spite of the possiblity of foretold tragedy, will you then allow the rest of us to say, we told you so and then go about our way?

Or will you, and others like you, again tell us we need to be compassionate and come to their aid to once again. With fists full of dollars, and truckloads of food and clothing. Should we come bearing supplies galore to help them rebuild and again rise from the gloom, despair and ashes..... :)

#37     Jul 27, 2006
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Your Prez. Until a year or so ago, he simply stated that there was no evidence of it. Republicans also simply just denied the fact.

Then I guess the international ridicule was so great that they finally (the Prez himself too) acknowledged that the warming is a fact, now they are just figthing over what causes it.

Now I don't like to apply to the opinion of majority, but when scientists of 150 countries with NO AGENDA are saying that we have a man-made global warming and 1 country's politicans WITH AGENDA saying not so, well it is a hard choice to make up your mind. :)

Again, the equation:

150 countries' scientist, no agenda >>> 1 country's politicans with agenda

#38     Jul 27, 2006
  9. I'd personally feel a lot better about it if I could assure myself that:

a) they were not primarily grant/government funded
    b) not trying to get the approval of their peers
    c) trying to play nice for their joint affiliation concepts
    d) if they didn't all have to rely on the same small window (by their own admission) of evidence viewing it the same way
    e) actually could prove something other than the result

It's sort of like if I gave 150 guys each a can of blue paint. For the most part I'm going to get a slight variation of the same shade of blue.

Their statements might ultimately prove valid. But for now I don't think they have enough information as to the real cause for them to start developing hard core solutions. And the fact that many of them are unyeilding in their universally supported solution knowing that they truly don't have causal facts, personally gives me rise for concern. :)

#39     Jul 27, 2006
  10. These comments betray an ignorance of how scientific research is conducted.

High-profile scientific discoveries are always those that overthrow the prevailing consensus. A scientist would not go very far in his/her career if all he/she does is confirm what others said were correct. So the incentive for scientists to break ranks is very high.

OTOH, the standards for overthrowing the conventional wisdom is also high - you have to have solid scientific evidence that can pass examination by other scientists. Cold fusion did not pass so it has not been accepted by the scientific community. The theory of the Big Bang did and now is a part of the scientific consensus. Anyone today who can prove that the Big Bang theory is wrong would immediately win a Nobel Prize.

Likewise, the scientific evidence in favor of global warming is overwhelming. Therefore the motivation for scientists to disprove global warming is also proportionally high - there are numerous prizes, awards, and prestigious appointments awaiting them if they can disprove global warming.

Scientists are trained to be rebellious. To assume that they would conform to any political agenda because of the money simply reflects your own ignorance.

#40     Jul 27, 2006