why don't i see the profits

Discussion in 'Options' started by met1989, Apr 28, 2018.

1. met1989

met1989

hey
    im using the demo account of IB and i sold 2 options in order to collect the premium but how come i don't see in my Relized profits the credit of the option selling at wha t stage do i see it ?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. luisHK

luisHK

After the option expires, if it expires otm at least.
    What you should see upon selling an option is the premium amount credited to your cash balance

tommcginnis likes this.
  3. wildchild

wildchild

When the option expires or when you cover. Of course there is far from any guarantee that you will have realized a profit.

BTW, if you need to ask this question, you are not ready to sell naked options which it sounds like you are doing.

tommcginnis and spindr0 like this.
  4. met1989

met1989

wouldn't that be considered a RELIZED profit?

5. met1989

met1989

im not selling a naked call its actually covered and its a demo for learning

6. spindr0

spindr0

As others have mentioned, there is no realized profit if a position is still open. You have to buy to close the option or it has to expire for realized gain.

murray t turtle and tommcginnis like this.
  7. met1989

met1989

but that doesn't make sense cause i do collect premiums on selling the options ?!

8. spindr0

spindr0

Yes, you collect the premium but you have not earned the premium yet. If the underlying moves against you, you will LOSE money. The cash balance of your account increases by the amount of the premium received buy the short obligation reduces account value by the same amount until the price of the option increases or decreases.

As Wildchild suggested, if you need to ask this question, you are not ready to sell naked options which it sounds like you are doing. I'd add that you really need to get hold of a good option book and lose yourself in it for a few months :D

tommcginnis likes this.
  9. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Financial options (whether for corn, coffee, or cash) are insurance policies.
    By selling options, you have become an insurance provider.
    The options you have sold are liabilities on your account, which liabilities you HOPE will shrink, and the position become profitable.
    When you buy-to-close that position, then profits, or losses, will be realized.

Along with a good option book (as per spindr0 above), focus on net liquidation and available overnight margin.

spindr0 likes this.
  10. spindr0

spindr0

Pick up a copy of "Options as a Strategic Investment" by Lawrence G. McMillan. When you grasp what's in that, read "Option Volatility & Pricing: Advanced Trading Strategies and Techniques" by Sheldon Natenberg. Then, read them both again. After that, you MIGHT have a shot at succeeding with options.

#10     Apr 30, 2018