Why don’t they just pray the storm away?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Aug 26, 2012.

1. #21     Aug 27, 2012
  2. Could something like this be a reason: "Using the storm as an excuse to rearrange the schedule to avoid embarrassement from Ron Paul supporters protesting in prime time on national TVs?"

#22     Aug 27, 2012
  3. But the storm did move, did it not? See, this is where you lose the argument. You challenge the true believers to pray the storm away. They pray, the storm moves, and you still dismiss them as crack pots.
    You know, I know, most everyone knows you can't pray a storm to change direction, but when you make that challenge and the storm does in fact move, you look as foolish as they do. You're a zealot, just like they are. Pot, I have a kettle for you to meet.

#23     Aug 27, 2012
  4. not sure about that but Obama did order his henchman to pray the drought away.

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/headline/atheists-blast-obama-for-praying-for-rain-to-end-the-drought/

BuzzFeed: Atheists Blast Obama for Praying for Rain to End the Drought

The Council for Secular Humanism is attacking the Obama administration for Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack saying he prays for rain to end the nationwide drought.

“I get on my knees every day,” Vilsack said at the White House press briefing on Wednesday. “And I’m saying an extra prayer now. If I had a rain prayer or a rain dance I could do, I would do it.”

In a statement, Tom Flynn, the executive director of the Council for Secular Humanism, said Vilsack’s mention of prayer “sends the wrong message to distraught farmers.”

“[Praying] for rain? That’s not just government entangling itself with religion, that’s government publicly practicing it, and wallowing in superstition,” he said

#24     Aug 27, 2012
  5. not to thinking people.

now, a thinking person might come to this conclusion. there have to be just as many people in new orleans praying that the storm doesnt come their way as people in tampa praying that the storm move. whats a god to do?

#25     Aug 27, 2012
  6. rcn10ec

rcn10ec

How about we pray that the storm hits neither. Let's be specific and ask that the damaging winds dissipate enough that there be no loss of anyone's life but, we get the rain that we need. Let's pray that when He does answer our prayer, that those who mock, doubt, or don't believe, will see His power and authority and be sure and give Him all the honor and glory. That's what I'll be praying for. In Jesus' name.

#26     Aug 27, 2012
  7. go for it. but a thinking person would have to conclude that every hurricane that ever hit had people praying that it not hit. how did that work out for them?

#27     Aug 27, 2012
  8. I now understand why the Politics & Religion forum posts never hit the main screen. Nucking Futs!

#28     Aug 27, 2012
  9. rcn10ec

rcn10ec

Well, a thinking person would conclude that, obviously, things "work out" different for different people.
    When tornados came thru where I live some were hit, some were not. Whether hit or not, some were angry at God.
    On the other hand, some said what transpired afterwards was the best thing that ever happened to them and were drawn closer to God.

Anyways... personally, I believe God honors His word...

Important verses to remember...
    2 Chronicles 7:13-14
    13 “When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people,
    14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways,
    then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

#29     Aug 27, 2012
  10. yea, but jesus promised that if two people ask in his name he will answer any prayer. we have to assume more than two people are praying for every tornado not to hit them. did jusus lie?

Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst. (Matthew 18:19-20 NAS)

also

1) And Jesus answered and said to them, "Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, `Be taken up and cast into the sea,' it will happen. "And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." (Matthew 21:21-22 NAS)

2) Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:7-8 NAB)

3) Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst. (Matthew 18:19-20 NAS)

4) Amen, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it shall be done for him. Therefore I tell you, all that you ask for in prayer, believe that you will receive it and it shall be yours. (Mark 11:24-25 NAB)

5) And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. (Luke 11:9-13 NAB)

6) And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13-14 NAB)

7) If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. (John 15:7 NAB)

8) It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. (John 15:16 NAB)

9) On that day you will not question me about anything. Amen, amen, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you. Until now you have not asked anything in my name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete. (John 16:23-24 NAB)

#30     Aug 27, 2012