Why DON"T "profitable" traders take the time to train people remotely and for a fee?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by OddTrader, May 29, 2009.

1. vilas

vilas

Firstly, it is the jealous brigade who can not trade and yet do not want others to get the benefit that accrue from following a PT. So, they write silly comments which cheeses off the really good traders. For that matter why they need to concern themselves with the nitwits ?
    But, I do feel that good traders would do it for a fee - Goofd for both the teacher and student !

Vilas.

#21     May 31, 2009
  2. Eight

Eight

Every time I show somebody how to trade, it always comes just before I learn something and the plan changes... or is it karma, when I show somebody how I trade I get rewarded... hmm..

I can think of a couple of reasons to teach a large number of people to trade the same system. If I needed pile-on volume to enhance the system or if the SEC accused me of insider trading because my account gain was an outlier that raised suspicions..

#22     May 31, 2009
  3. drcha

drcha

When I see a question like this, my mind goes to the turtles thing. Maybe the answer to your question is that most people, at some level, don't really want to learn. If you gave them the keys to the kingdom, they wouldn't use them. They want to find a short cut, tweak the system somehow, avoid the pain of taking losses, etc., etc. It is frustrating to those who teach.

#23     May 31, 2009
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Since my answers were quoted in the original post to the opposite question, I might be qualified to answer this question too, so we can all go to bed and sleep well tonight.

So let's see:

1. Strategy is too proprietary and can not be shared.

2. Trader tried to teach before but had bad experiences.

3. Strategy is too instinctive and can not be taught. Trader has a feel for the market.

4. Trader earns enough money and doesn't want to be bothered by students.

5. Trader is simply a bad teacher and can not teach his method.

6. Trader is affraid that he would lose his edge if shared his strategy.

7. The fee what the trader could ask for is not worthy the effort. Let's say the strategy doesn't make much, so he can not charge for it too much and why bother for small fee?

8. Trader learnt/bought his method from a teacher but promised not to share.

9. Trader thinks that he invested too much time and money to come up with his method so he doesn't want to share it.

10. Because of psychological reasons, not every method can be taught.

11. Not everyone into remote teaching. Trader might prefer real life teaching, but not everyone is able to travel to China. :)

12. Trader is affraid that his students would teach his strategy later on.

13 Strategy is so simple that there isn't much to teach about and it could be published very easily.

etc.etc.etc. blah-blah-blah

Have I answered your question? :)

#24     May 31, 2009
  5. You're just a genius! Thanks!:p

#25     Jun 1, 2009
  6. Pita

Pita

Trader-teacher might get bored and feel time wasted with students who for example don't even know basics or simply don't get it or turn out to become a smart ass character. He might be forced to say bye bye to some students ending up as an asshole in their eyes. Trader will think twice before making a commitment as he is risking not money but self value. Trader will select student and not the other way around and of course trader has to love being a teacher at the same time which is a rare breed.
    Profitable traders are balanced persons who don't need to hold secrets unless they credit success to a system that didnt pass the time test. Traders are artists and want to meet up with similar minds solely when commiting and sharing their most precious commodity - time.

#26     Jun 1, 2009
  7. Lets say you spent years teaching yourself the guitar.

You never once memorized or even looked at chords/notes.

You never had anyone else teach you a song.

You were never taught how to tune your own guitar.

You had to completely depend on yourself.

By completely depending on yourself you have reached success.

After years of depending on yourself and reaching success you begin to think that the best way to learn and become really good at something is by completely depending on yourself.

Your question of why successful traders don't spoon feed people cannot go more against their beliefs.

Not only do they have an iron clad belief in self-dependence but they also have a strong disliking for organizations that minimize the need for self dependence such as college, mutual funds, prescription drugs and government.

You will have better luck convincing a member of Mothers Against Drunk Driving to drive drunk.

#27     Jun 1, 2009
  8. It would be because anonymous little 14 year old dirtbags can go on forums and websites like this and bag the shit out of good traders. They can say the most defamatory things about traders and get away with it.
    If Warren Buffett, George Soros and Paul Tudor Jones came here and posted, they would be bagged relentlessly as useless by snotty nosed kids who are experts at playing the latest version of computer game. It is called Warrior Demo Trading and is the hottest selling game in the world for kids, Available at your nearest Forex broker:eek:

#28     Jun 1, 2009
  9. Time and self-dependence are important.

I think, one of the reasons is for many traders their main objective would be their free-time (available to do things Anytime they like), freedom (able to do Anything they enjoy) and free-spirit (more Opportunities to try whatever they choose). Simply enjoy a relaxing life with style!

Then once attaining their objective above why would they tie themselves up with something basically against their original wish!?

Exceptions:
    1. Temporary and short-term arrangement (Not for very long period of time)
    2. Small profitability (Not enough profit for long time) before improving.
    3. Charity nature (Free for a fairly poor family friend)
    4. etc.

#29     Jun 1, 2009
  10. Usually they stop listening when they find out the system I use is simpler then theirs, or what "they think" a system should be.

People need to loosen up, it's all about psychology and nothing to do with indicators.

#30     Jun 1, 2009