Why doesn't the government want you to know this about Oil ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Joab, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Mercor

Mercor

The average driver goes 12,000 miles a year. At 20 M.P.G. thats 600 gallons a year.

Each $1.00 rise per gallon equals $1.43 per day in gas costs.
    Who doesn't waste $1.43 on a Coke, candy, coffee a day.

So thats why for the average driver the current gas price a pain but not a crisis. The media and the Dems will scare us with selected ugly stories.

Gas stations are the ones hurting first. Since they make their profits on the candy and softdrinks. People are buying less of those.

#32     Apr 20, 2008
  2. achilles28

achilles28

Crude is a global market.

What happens in the Middle East drastically affects oil prices whether we buy from them, or not.

US Oil companies have a big presence in the Middle East. Even more so since the Iraq invasion. To the victor go the spoils...

Even if American companies don't export much middle eastern crude here, they still benefit enormously from it.

#33     Apr 20, 2008
  3. taodr

taodr

Most people don't understand that oil is like blood, that is it has different qualities and is different from country to country. Saudi oil is not that high a quality. The best as far as I know is from Nigeria. Their light sweet crude is what can be refined easiest into high octane fuels. Saudi oil is good for gas-oil(diesel). The american gov needs to tell the truth why they are complicent in pushing the price up.

#34     Apr 20, 2008
  4. SteveD

SteveD

I think US oil companies only control about 15% of world supply...rest is state owned companies....

Exactly how is US Gov pushing prices up???

I have been behind a guy in a "C" store: pack of cigs, tall can of beer, $5 lottery ticket and bitch about price of gas, LOL.....

Or the soccer mom in a giant SUV stopping off for a $5 starbucks coffee.....

Silly......

SteveD

#35     Apr 20, 2008
  5. Continuing on with Oil being priced in dollars... isn’t the dollar supposed to be like the global reserve currency or something like that, not officially by any treaty, but mainly by preference within the international community... How much would credit would you account for this being due to the fact that oil is priced in dollars?

If it is a large part of it, then what are the economic and global-political implications of the dollar remaining as the global reserve currency, compared to the dollar sharing that role with another currency like the Euro, or outright falling from that position all together... especially in light of the ever increasing globalization of capitalist economies?

#36     Apr 20, 2008
  6. Correct - Europe is the HUB of the global entities that rule the globe as we know it.

#37     Apr 20, 2008
  7. TIMES 2 vehicles per household average, so that is $2.86 per day for 30 days or about $86 a month per household (for each $1.00 increase).

So now lets look at the INCREASED fuel costs of SHIPPING all products by air/ship/train/truck to every business in the country, and how much that costs each household per month. :eek:

#38     Apr 20, 2008
  8. How do you KNOW this? I'm not asking you how or why you 'believe' it. How do you KNOW? The fact is, you don't.

My belief is that oil is an abiotic resource that is produced naturally through the earth's heat and pressure. I think oil, like water, can be replentished as naturally as the water cycle. Because of this belief, I don't think we should be beating ourselves up over attempting to find new fields. Hell, how probable is it that every other continent has so much oil, yet not North America (specifically the USA)? How about PBR's find in Brazil?

#39     Apr 20, 2008
  9. Mercor

Mercor

Oil is formed from bio-mass under tremendous presure for a long period of time.

From the dinosours as the saying goes.

We need to create a recycling program to form new oil.
    First we need to dig huge pits and then fillit with as much Bio-mass as possible. That means trees, soil, shurbs, animals remains, human bodies. Then cap, perferable with volcanic mass, let sit for a few hundred thousand years. Then hook up the pump and enjoy.

Where is Al Gore when you need him?

#40     Apr 20, 2008