Why doesn't the government want you to know this about Oil ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Joab, Apr 19, 2008.

1. WD40

WD40

How do you propose to ship your oil over the Rockies to Asia?
    or over the Prairies to the Great Lakes, then in tankers through the St Lawrence to the Atlantic... to where? Europe? Africa?

Use your brain man. Who can afford to buy your oil?

#11     Apr 19, 2008
  2. There is a pipeline from Alberta to Vancouver; but it has limited capacity for Asian demands.

#12     Apr 19, 2008
  3. Good point.

#13     Apr 20, 2008
  4. So then, let me ask a provocative question, to conservatives, moderates, liberals and libertarians all:

Why is every negative statement about the U.S.'s dependency on oil prefaced with the ubiquitous phrase 'middle eastern?'

(I am a libertarian, believe that oil is a much more rational form of deriving energy than ethanol or biofuels [for the time being, at least], and think that the nearly religious obsession with producing grain and plant based fuel sources will be remembered as an episode of temporary insanity in the annals of American History, and that the unintended, devastating side effects of this madness have only begun to become known to the general public)

#14     Apr 20, 2008
  5. Mercor

Mercor

Reality is that we get less then 15% of our oil from Middle east. We do import over 60% in total.

We could stop all purchasing from the middle east and not have a huge effect on gas pump prices here.

Why are we protecting the Sauds and the flow of middle east oil?
    It is the Europeans who benefit, they import over 60% of their oil from the middle east. Yet they won't even support us in our effort.

It we walk away from Iraq and the middle east ,like the Dems want to, it is Europe the is vulnerable to supply issues.

Europe always has been careless with things in their national interests. From allowing Muslims to run rampant, festering dictatorships and securing their oil supply.

This is a condition of the nanny state the USA has afforded Europe. Europe acts like the child who's interests are looked after by the USA

#15     Apr 20, 2008
  6. Mercor, I am pretty amazed at your statement simply from the standpoint that you seem to insinuate that US policy on anything, let alone oil, has been anything more than dreadful for the last....I don't know?.....8 years??

That's not a partisan jab, but an expression of the reality I see, and that I believe has manifested itself in objective data.

Of course, saying that Europe doesn't have its own set of problems, some policy driven, some not, and what I just did isn't mutually exclusive - it's just that I think your insinuation that the U.S. has done better than Europe in nearly any issue is a big, big stretch, relatively speaking.

#16     Apr 20, 2008
  7. Mercor

Mercor

I am not really stating an opinion on American policy. My main point is the US could survive without any mideast oil. It begs the question as to why we are all over the mid-east. This is a policy that can be debated.

Wheather good or bad, it seems that europe is the beneficary of our (good or bad) mid-east policy.

I wish that the US would make this point more clear to Europe.

A pull-out of Iraq and mid-east will create more risk for Europe's oil supply. They should be grateful for the US doing their dirty work.

#17     Apr 20, 2008
  8. If its true that we only get 15% of our oil from the middle east, and the Middle East mainly supplies Europe, and you’re wondering why the average American is mislead to believe that Middle East oil is “sooooo important” as you put it… then perhaps it has more to do with oil being priced in dollars then it has to do with oil supply itself? …just another angle you might want to consider if you are serious about researching this further.

#18     Apr 20, 2008
  9. Mercor

Mercor

It Asia that is most dependent on mid-east oil.

Good point about "dollars". This is our reward for protecting world trade, International shipping routes, and sitting our army on top of the persion gulf.

Of course we supply the dollars it takes demand to accept them. Since WWII most countries perfer dollar based assets. Some feel that may be changing. I don't agree.

If we ever have total a global crash, Goverments falling, anarachy, bio chemical attacks, economic meltdown, I don't think the Euro is going provide any protection, First Gold, then USD, then Swiss franc

#19     Apr 20, 2008
  10. Joab

Joab

Now we are getting to the heart of the problem !!!

WHY are the American people being lied to or shall we say lead to believe something different about oil supply.

Who is getting paid off for this and why ?

Let's follow the money !

#20     Apr 20, 2008