Why doesn't Germany just invade Greece?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Covertibility, Jul 25, 2012.

1. baron193

baron193

Greece should be a nation that is economicaly in much better position than it is now, IF the nation was left to prosper by the outsiders and the divisions between the "left" and the "right" was eliminated, even peoples attitudes would change.

How is it that ignorant people, mostly from a handfull of countries with no real idea of what really is going on make comments?

#41     Jul 28, 2012
  2. everything I know about Greece I learned from watching tv. I see on the news, people rioting, I listen to the news report, and in a matter of minutes I have formed an expert opinion on the matter.

#42     Jul 28, 2012
  3. piezoe

piezoe

It's an old story. Countries going bankrupt because of irrational military/arms expenditures fueled by fear instilled by those selling the arms. The USA is next.

" A foole & his money,
    be soone at debate:
    which after with sorow,
    repents him to late."

Thomas Tusser in Five Hundreth Pointes of Good Husbandrie, 1573.

#43     Jul 28, 2012
  4. zdreg

zdreg

"I may be right. I may be wrong. but I am never in doubt."

#44     Jul 28, 2012
  5. Nah, there are a few on here who understand it. The posts regarding the current account imbalances and the internal devaluation provide some rays of sunshine. The arms people and the "it was all govt spending" folks on this thread and others, well, they provide good story telling.

Roubini had a good article a year ago regarding internal devaluation but sadly, for some unknown reason, the NYTimes doesn't have it available online.

#45     Jul 28, 2012
  6. yes well, I can tell you, the idea of Germany invading is completely ridiculous, because they are not talking about that on tv.

If you want to get all "thoughtful" on me, get your own damn tv network and explain it in a way I can understand.

The only thing I can't understand is, if Greeks are so damn lazy, how come their daugters are so beautiful and their food is so delicious?

I've hung out in some hardworking american towns, and the daughters aren't worth much more than the mothers cooking.

#46     Jul 28, 2012
  7. ronblack

ronblack

Greece is a drop in the bucket. Italy and France are the real problems. Together they owe 10X the Greek debt. So they instructed their banks to stop financing Greek debt to keep the focus there and force a solution for QE before they go down. This was mainly a problem arising from PR inability of Greek politicians. The other things about Greeks not paying taxes and being lazy are silly and those who argue like that are even sillier. Greeks control 25% of cargo shipping and can't be stupid and lazy. Corruption is everywhere. Whoever claims that Greeks are more corrupted than other Europeans is an idiot who doesn't know left from right.

#47     Jul 29, 2012
  8. i'm with you. all this talk about war and Germany taking over Greece isn't based in reality. what your saying is.. its definitely a game of cards.

#48     Jul 29, 2012
  9. zdreg

zdreg

it is more like a house of cards.

#49     Jul 29, 2012
  10. well, first of all, it was a joke, if you are taking war with Germany and Greece seriously, I seriously doubt your ability to read the market, or for that matter to even design an auto trade system.

But yes, the real deal is Italy, and if you trade currencies, the general consensus is, the EUR must go to parity, otherwise, it will be just too advantageous for Italy to drop out.

#50     Jul 29, 2012