Why doesn't everybody just short VXX?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by GlobalMacro90, Sep 25, 2018.

1. been shorting tvix for the last month and making a killing
    but very careful to keep very tight stops and not get blown up

#21     Sep 25, 2018
  2. That's a silly generalization. Not all short premia strategies are made equal. In 2017 VXX went from 100 to 25. Not exactly pennies. For a passive investor there is a ton of convergence in the vix futures that can be "collected". It's much better if you are active and can hedge the tails effectively.

#22     Sep 25, 2018
    Reformed Trader likes this.
  3. maler

maler

Great suggestion for monitoring hard to borrow names.
    I keep it simple with delta 1 bets on liquid names lately, so I don't look at options.

#23     Sep 25, 2018
  4. you are basically acting as an insurance provider by selling volatility - be prepared for steep losses every now and then - profitable long term

#24     Sep 25, 2018
    GlobalMacro90 likes this.
  5. destriero

destriero

Hold on... yeah, I got the same answer. Thanks, Capt Obvious.

#25     Sep 25, 2018
    plassma likes this.
  6. JSOP

JSOP

I never said that.

It's @comagnum who said this.

#26     Sep 25, 2018
  7. What would be an effective way to hedge a short VXX position? I have been studying this (and UVXY) for years but I can’t find any strategy with them that would give decent returns while being hedged. Calls for both ETF are always very expensive. Puts too.

#27     Sep 29, 2018
  8. I find hard deltas to be the best hedge. I often(not so much lately) run a short ES short VX futures pair if i see some decent convergence potential.

#28     Sep 29, 2018
  9. sle

sle

Out of curiosity, do you use proper var-swap (with appropriate adjustments) based deltas or some form of ad hoc beta?

#29     Sep 29, 2018
  10. Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean with “hard deltas”?

The problem of using short ES as a hedge is that the futures “beta” keeps changing, and in some cases even becomes positively correlated to VIX futures. I try to find something safer, like simply VXX calls when shorting that ETF or just buying puts directly.

#30     Sep 29, 2018