Why does SPY hourly show a gap, but not daily on Jan 30, 2018?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by FireWalker, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Also, with regard to the gap on Feb 2, I also expect that to be filled.

#11     Feb 22, 2018
  2. The error is at the source. It shows on TradingView and Yahoo (and others). I reported it to NYSE a couple weeks ago. No response.

#12     Feb 22, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Actually, in the last 6 months we had gaps all over the place. We still have an upgap from Sept 8th (I think) that is unfilled around 2460 SPX, nevertheless we still rallied for 5 more months.

#13     Feb 22, 2018
    murray t turtle and FireWalker like this.
  4. #14     Feb 22, 2018
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, gaps like to be filled, so I could argue that a down gap is bullish later on.

Oh, OK he is talking about breakaway gaps. The problem is, just when do we realize if it is a normal or a breakaway gap?

#15     Feb 22, 2018
  6. I agree, that is true. Apparently, the 1930 one took 21 years.

#16     Feb 22, 2018
  7. rb7

rb7

These people are good to tell you what happened after the fact.

Pretty much useless for making money trading.

All medias are full of them. They always have an answer to everything that happened in the past.

#17     Feb 22, 2018
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

#18     Feb 22, 2018
  9. mbondy

mbondy

@FireWalker

Not sure where you're getting your data from but it's not accurate. I presume you don't have a real-time unfiltered data feed? If so, you would see throughout the day that there are out of the money trades printing (on time and sales) somewhat regularly. These prints create very annoying spikes on a chart that will skew data. Reporting requirements for trades are not all created equal. Ergo, intraday, you will often see trades printing at prices that never actually traded and in my experience, more often than not, they are unreported trades from the previous days close (or block trades which fall under different reporting requirements). In your second example, 284.74 was the previous days close, and a trade that was not reported the previous day was instead printed at some point the following day which resulted in the erroneous high.

If this explanation is not clear enough, I can post a picture of exactly what I mean.

#19     Feb 22, 2018
  10. Gap (hourly)
    No gap (daily)

So, they copy the Close from yesterday and print it on the Open? That's fraud.

#20     Feb 22, 2018